HybridZ

VG30DETT swap....

Guest DrewZee87T

Guest DrewZee87T

I have already searched and have not found too much info on this. I think toddkindredd has the article from the 97 turbo mag on it, but other than that, just a couple posts at zdriver, etc.

I have located a complete TT motor with 97k on it for cheap - both turbos rebuilt - and am tempted to get it for a swap into my 75.

I would be using sds or some other engine management and would be curious as to any major pitfalls from anyone who has done this. I have seen the VG30ET done on a first gen z and can't see how the TT motor could be that much more of a pita (other than intercooler and exhaust plumbing).

So the plan would be TT motor, warmed over with a little porting, some 550 or bigger injectors, ic's and up the boost. That with an SDS should hit 400+ hp.

Me very crazy....

any thoughts?

Drew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The z32 twin turbo motor is supposed to hit ~405hp with the computer upgrade and an upgraded exhaust. That is without porting, without fuel injector upgrade. A friend of mine has this setup and I watched it dyno at around there. The next step people usually do is upgrade the turbos and the injectors, and supposedly that's good for somewhere around 500hp.. but I'm probably totally wrong on that number. I would love to see an early Z with one of these engines. I'd also like to see a 510 with one. icon_smile.gif

Check out TwinTurbo.net for info on mods and maybe a source for parts.

Well as a guy who has some recent experience in this realm.. My Z31T transplant in my 78 280Z..I can say that is can't be harder than a Z32 swap.

I too thought about swapping in a TT driveline. My mechanic who did my swap had a tt driveline sitting in the shop throughout my whole swap. We hummed and hawwed for over a year about that engine. But I just could not swing the extra money needed to do it. (this driveline is complete minus I/C, MAS, and the ecu) it does have the entire wiring harness though. The cost for those parts just put it out of my ball park.

It will physically fit, there is almost 1/2 inch clearance between the shock towers...so tower mods may be neccessary. The turbos hang low just like the Z31T so you will have frame and steering mods for sure. Wiring would be no harder. and as far as plumbing i/c's etc..you would be going custom anyways..and besides there is a ton of room out front of the engine anyways.

It will work..but there sure aren't any manuals for it..or any pre fabbed motor mounts and any other brackets you may need. I needed to have them all custom designed and built by hand.

If you are a good mechanic/machinist..you could easily get away with it..if you had to pay someone...I had to pay 100hrs labour just to install my motor...

And if you do go for it..make sure you do it safe..you don't want a motor mount or steering mod to break at 150mph!...or worse....

Scott.

Guest MegaShaft_2000

quote:

Originally posted by dewzenol:

The z32 twin turbo motor is supposed to hit ~405hp with the computer upgrade and an upgraded exhaust. That is without porting, without fuel injector upgrade. A friend of mine has this setup and I watched it dyno at around there. The next step people usually do is upgrade the turbos and the injectors, and supposedly that's good for somewhere around 500hp.. but I'm probably totally wrong on that number

I'll add my input on this one, I have a 91tt. With intake, exhaust, and ECU+boost jets, you're looking at around 400 hp. If you upgrade to 555cc injectors and larger turbos and intercoolers, you're good for around 600 hp. After that, it's advised that you rebuild the engine with stronger internals, although some people have run 700+ HP on stock internals.