HybridZ

sensor placement questions

I have a couple questions regarding sensor placement. I have an lq4 in my 77 and im wanting to put an autometer oil temp guage and a trans temp guage. Can anyone point me in the easiest direction to installing these sending units?

• 2 weeks later...

You can tap the oil cooler block off plate ( at the oil pan ) for your temp. sender . Trans. pan is one location for trans. temp. sender or put a splice in your trans. cooler hose ( make sure you have a ground if your have a single wire sender ) .

Im trying to avoid pulling the pan and tapping it. I was hoping there was an easy access port already on the trans. Ive heard about tapping the oil cooler blocl off plate but again was hoping there was a plug somewhere on the motor that i could throw a temp sensor in its place.

Edited by CrayZ

I would wait until you are ready for trans. filter change to install your sender ( for trans. temp. gauge ) . Corvette C5 has temp. sender installed at oil cooler block plate . Where's your oil press. sender ?

I've also heard of people using the drain plug for a temp reading for the trans. Might give that a try when it's time for a change. The oil pressure comes from a removed plug in the valley at the rear of the motor.