HybridZ

Going from a 240sx to a 240z ls swap

Hello all. My name is Paul. I currently have a 95 240sx Zenki. Been wanting to do an LS1 swap in it for a while. But im starting to have seconds thoughts due to the car needing lots of body work in the front and the main fact is I live in Communist California where you have the smog Nazi's. So with that being said lets look at the good. Im looking to getting myself a 240z at some point. I have some backround with this because my little brother and my step dad owned a 73 and did lots of work on it. So I have been searching around the site and there is lots of mixed opinions on how much the chassis can take with v8 power. Id obiviously would look to beef up whatever I need to get the car to take the power. This will be primilarly a drag car with some street driving. Id look to at least getting r200 or maybe r230 diff to take those drag launches. So just looking for some of you guys to chime in who drag their Z with v8 power on what works and what doesnt. Thanks for any info!

Welcome to the site ! I also live in Communist Money Hungry Bastard Kali. There is tons of info on here for the swap. I'm doing it in a 74' 260z which has a stronger chassis so I'm told but not sure. Regardless of the 2 chassis's you can buy reinforced chassis parts and weld them on. R200 or R230 are good choices and are bullet proof, you would just have to figure out strong enough axles. An auto tranny is forgiving on the axles but if your like me and want to bang through the gears strong axles and stub axles are necessary.

Edited by Daz

What he said, build a stout r200 or 230, I built my own R200 LSD, pulled it apart added better clutches and shimmed it tight. Added Modern Motorsports stubs and adapters along with 300ZXT cv's. Mine has seen dozens of 9 and 10 second passes with only 2 axles snapped in 7 yrs.

What he said, build a stout r200 or 230, I built my own R200 LSD, pulled it apart added better clutches and shimmed it tight. Added Modern Motorsports stubs and adapters along with 300ZXT cv's. Mine has seen dozens of 9 and 10 second passes with only 2 axles snapped in 7 yrs.

Besides doing the rear did you do anything else to beef the car and the frame? Im just trying to figure out if the car can take the much added torque from an ls v8.

Not a lot, welded in 6 point cage with door bars, everything welded in solid, no floor pans welded. That really tightens up things. Also custom built rear diff. front mount. Car has seen hundreds of passes on the track and street.  My ride has been sbc converted for approx. 30 yrs.

Not a lot, welded in 6 point cage with door bars, everything welded in solid, no floor pans welded. That really tightens up things. Also custom built rear diff. front mount. Car has seen hundreds of passes on the track and street.  My ride has been sbc converted for approx. 30 yrs.

Good to know that I dont have to do anything ridiculous to get a 240z to take the power. A cage is a must anyways gotta be safe. Thanks for the info Zfan1.