HybridZ

240Z L76/4L80E combo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, transmission will not shift, goes into first, nuetral, reverse and park only. Maybe a tcm issue. I am going to pull the main plug socket and make sure there is no trash in the recepticle/socket on the trans side otherwise I will have to pull the transmission....yuck!

• 2 weeks later...

I keep the fuel level low because in the heat of the day it sometimes expands and pukes out the vent line. For some reason I was so sure I had 1/2 tank that I didn't check the gauge even when I loaded car. We pulled up to the grid and I said to my co-driver "we are pretty low on fuel, we'll get gas at the lunch break." I have a good baffle in the tank, and I have drag raced with a super low tank (stock motor-I'm fast because I'm light), so I thought I might get away with it. First sweeper, power cuts out, but car kept running. Once I got out of the sweeper I was able to nurse it to a gas station. 7 gallons later we were hauling ass again. My brakes so totally suck. AZC kit arrived this week. Itching to get to work on it.

Replaced bad ecm and got a base tune in her, she goes to the dyno today for her final exam...LOL   I took her to the track on a base tune and went 6.91 at 99 just rolling out not stalling her up just off idle.  Was kind of dissapointed but she may have a lot left on the table that we will find on the dyno.

Well that 4L80E is a power robbing SOB!!!   Put down a best of 418 to the rear wheels, had some strange vibration issues on the dyno, got to rebalance the drive shaft before it tears something up, not to mention losing power too.  Going to have to send the converter back too, it was supposed to flash to 36-3800, only flashes to 3100, that will not work at all.

Edited by Zfan1

My tuner said that in a 600rwhp car (Corvette) with a 4L60E transmission that broke twice, they swapped in a 4L80E and it only put down 540rwhp. A 60 rwhp loss swapping from a 4L60E to a 4L80E, I about crapped, that is a rediculous power loss. Makes me want to swap in a 4L60E but the idea of breaking the trans has me on the fence.  I am going to take it to the track and see if it picks up anything before taking it apart again.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0371.MOVFinally made it to the dyno, made 418rwhp and 397tq thru a power robbing 4L80E. Tuner said the 4L80E eats 30-40 more rwhp than a 4L60E....crap!  He said that thru a 6 speed It would be in the neighborhood of 475-490rwhp, makes me want to put a manual in it. Sorry for the crappy phone video my friend made, forgot my good one.

That hp rating doesn't match the sub-7 1/8-mile you are running!  Supposedly, I have 435 tq and you are flat running off from me.  I think you are kicking butt.  What is your drive time to Little Rock, Arkansas?  I'm about 6 hours.  Perhaps next summer we could meet at Centerville Dragway an hour outside Little Rock for a Hybrid Z race night with wfritts911 in his LS1-powered car.  Its a great 1000 ft. track-super clean, smooth track with a really nice family atmosphere and a great vibe.

Went to Ennis this evening, too many street tires made for a slick evening.  Only made 2 passes before a huge drop in tire pressure made me aware of a leak in the drivers side rear drag radial. I picked up a nail/screw at the track of all places....damnit!  First pass I spun to a 1.67 60 ft. but still managed a 10.91 at 125.45, last pass was even worse, spin fest, 1.77 60 ft. ran 11.03 at 125. I drove the "Purple Turd" 70 miles each way, no trailer queen here...LOL

That hp rating doesn't match the sub-7 1/8-mile you are running!  Supposedly, I have 435 tq and you are flat running off from me.  I think you are kicking butt.  What is your drive time to Little Rock, Arkansas?  I'm about 6 hours.  Perhaps next summer we could meet at Centerville Dragway an hour outside Little Rock for a Hybrid Z race night with wfritts911 in his LS1-powered car.  Its a great 1000 ft. track-super clean, smooth track with a really nice family atmosphere and a great vibe.

That sounds like fun!