HybridZ

Engine Swap- Thinking FIRST! (79 2+2 into 83 2-seat)

geotek

OK, I bought a 1979 2+2 at the sheriffs auction for $30. I have a 1983 2-seater with a clutch that is on it's last legs. My intention is to pull the 79 motor and trans., rebuild both with a new clutch, when the time is right, do a swap with my 83 tired and worn eng/tranny.

The details:

The 'doner' 79 is a 2+2 with a N/A L28 (and a missing distributor?), 5-speed tranny (a good thing...)

My 'recipient' is an 83 2-seater w/ 5-speed man.trans. N/A.

I know the 2+2's have a larger clutch, should be a good thing...

The speedo cable, problem? I believe the ratios are different- I have an all-digital 83- any suggestions?

I plan to use the R200 rear end of the doner car for my V8-in-240 swap (at a later date, have the engine, no car-yet)

The 83 280ZX is my daily driver- a 2-seater- what else should I take advantage of while I have it out of comission? Headers? Cold air intake? Any other CHEAP horsepower available for the doner 79 engine that I should consider?

Is there anything I should watch out for in this 79-to-83 swap?

This will happen after the holidays, if the clutch in the 83 lasts that long.... geotek@hpnc.com icon_smile.gif

Hmmm.. there are a few things you might want to consider. The 83 engine has flattop pistons while the 79 will have dished pistons (assuming they are both original) If you are looking to build horsepower later on I would rebuild the 83 engine. You could maybe put the 79 head on the 83 block for some added compression. I don't remember off hand which is which, but nissan heads come with either square or round exhaust ports. This means that you'll have to make sure you have the proper exhaust manifold or header for the head you are using.

Also the 83 head should have a temperature sensor by the #5 spark plug and I don't think the 79 has one. Something to think about in a swap, because the computer takes reading from that sensor. (the 79 sensor should be under the thermostat)

The gear ratio of the 79 tranny should be better for off the line power in 1st and 2nd, the same for 3rd and 4th, and not quite as tall a 5th gear.

Check it out for yourself at: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/

Don't worry about the missing distributor, the one you have will work just fine.

Just watch out for that temperature switch thing on the heads!