HybridZ

2nd Annual International Invitational Mid-states HybridZ LS Fest

Is there a track in Branson for Z-fest?  I was just thinking we could have the tower start some of the cars with a handicap so that the finish will be more exciting, kind of like they do at the track, starting one car before the other (I'm sure there is a word for that).  One would just have to do a few runs to start off in order to figure out what time to give the tower.  Anyway, there were 2 cobras with the doors flying open!  I ASSUME my motor is stock because I haven't done anything to it.  It has an underdrive crank pulley, but there was no scuffing on any of the water pump bolts or valve cover bolts to suggest that anybody had been inside.  I saw the 18k-mile GTO that it came out of and it had the suspension ripped off from an off-road excusion and had bald rear street tires.  The interior was really junky, like maybe a punk owned it, not the kind of car that somebody loved or respected or would take the time to modify in a positive way.  Talking about the big end, there is an rpm where things really start to boogie in 4rth gear-I really felt it when I ran 1/4-mile.  I haven't been able to figure out what rpm that is on the tach because I'm busy trying to keep straight, but I sure can feel it in the seat of my pants.  The car is just starting into that exciting part of the tune when I hit 1000'.  It is kind of like "here it comes!" and the run is over.  In 1/4-mile, that part of the rpm tuning makes you want to say "yeeehaw!"  Oh, and I think that is all the timeslips-I just put them in order by the time at the top.  But, it did feel like I made more than 15 runs-I would have guessed more like 20.  I only had 1 yellow ticket and that was for the time I red-lighted.  The tune is whatever the tuner put on it when he took off the security, second set of O2 sensors, etc.  He's never seen the motor or the car.  Could it be a matter of the tires "growing?"  I was actually thinking of burning out less (2nd gear, BTW) in order to get more passes out of my tires-they didn't last long.  I think most of us would be willing to take a pre-engineered kit to a fabricator for welding of some brackets if provided the brackets and some measurements/templates-I would still consider that worthwhile even though you are right: it wouldn't be truly bolt-on.  You could be the next JTR or JCI-I think there is a market.

The track isn't in Branson, they go up to Ozark Raceway Park( http://www.ozarkracewaypark.com/schedule.html ). Z-Fest is scheduled for the 31st of May. I've heard the track is mediocre. I would assume if you make it up for Zfest we would be able to get a big Z car bracket race going, not sure how they do the track event.

Maybe its just a combination of a lighter car, a tuned LS2, slicks growing at the big end, the fact that it has really low miles on it, I dont know. But it sure traps a lot higher than mine does. I wouldn't do a bigger burnout for every run, just on a couple runs to see what it can do. I bet you could go 6.9x in the 1/8th and 10.9x in the 1/4 with a bigger burnout and a harder launch at a good track no problem.

Don't worry about the solid axle swap, I'm going to get my IRS setup done and I will make you the same setup. 100% bolt in. I'll make you a good deal to be my 240Z guinea pig. I think the solid axle swap would require notching the frame rail in the rear in order to prevent the LCA from hanging down too low, or at least that's how I had it planed out in my head. The watts link and the coil over mounts might have required some cutting as well, never looked too hard into the mounting for those. The solid axle swap is a viable option, but it would require a lot more money to do that my current plan.

-Will

Just looked at schedule and a map.  No way I can make it all the way to Branson for an event on a Friday.  Just too damn far for me to do that much driving/trailering on a weekend and 50% of my pay is earned on Thursday and Friday mornings.  I wonder how my little S-10 would do in the Ozarks....I can make it about 6 hours on a Friday afternoon, but that is pretty much the extent of my driving radius.  Perhaps if the meet were on a Saturday...then i could drive on Friday and Sunday and do the 2-step boogie on Saturday.

As an alternative:  I'm looking at an SCCA Solo II test n tune session in Blytheville, Arkansas on Saturday April 27th.  This is held at an old Airforce base that has the potential for straight-away speeds over 100mph with long sweepers and open slaloms.  Perhaps I could get some heat in the R1s.  They said that this is usually not a crowded event.  On the way, I would stop in Memphis Dragway (1/4-mile) on the way over (April 26), and on the way back (April 27).  This is a much more do-able opportunity for me due to the distance.  Gonna rotate slicks Friday in preparation.  Wife has a woman's church conference that weekend!  Billet stubs in the mail/Summit box on my porch.

I am also working on a plan for a one-on-one driving day with Matt Isbell in Atlanta.

Ya just looked at the map, Blytheville is actually not very far for you. Google says its a 5 and half hour drive for me if I got through LR, 6+ if I take the scenic route. Either way its way to far for me, even though it sounds awesome! And dang. I just looked up some google satellite images of the place they autocross at in Blytheville...wow.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Arkansas+Aeroplex,+Blytheville,+AR&ll=35.960483,-89.948716&spn=0.013165,0.01929&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Arkansas+Aeroplex,&hnear=0x8878acbdab56f1f3:0x95b9750987a10ac,Blytheville,+AR&cid=0,0,7580047152193038537&t=h&z=16

That is a huge spot! It's too bad they aren't going to do that again this year, I bet that is a blast! Maybe if I can fix my bike I will ride the scenic route out there, long shot but I might. On another note I need to get starter on my Lotus 7/Locost build already.

-Will

Edited by wfritts911