HybridZ

Argh, nothing goes right!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

As you guys know from my last post, I was going to buy a built camaro(which the boy wanted 3 grand, but I mistakenly thought I could talk him down to 2500).

Anyway, the boy is giving me until Nov 9th to get up the money, then he sells the camaro to somebody else. Well, I figured I'd get the cash by selling a mobile home I have that has been vacant for a few years.

I know I can sell it for about 3500, but it looks like its going to take too much time.

Anyway, I'm thinking that if the thing with the camaro falls through, I'll just take the 3500 and build a 280z. Given that I have to pay a grand for the 280z, and I already have a 350 (needs rebuilding, was running buts sat up for a long time) and a muncie four-speed, do you think I could build a high-performance 280 for th 3500? (I do do my own work)

I was looking at some 383 stroker kits, but I'm not sure if they'd be in my price-range. What I really would want would be a 383 stroker and a t56. Of course, I'd likely use the fourspeed just until I could afford a t56.

But I do like that camaro.....but it won't handle like a Z.... Ack, its driving me mad LOL!!!!

Advice would be appreciated.

I'd look into either chancing it on ebay buying a complete motor or going with a Speedomotive or similar long block. PAW also has some decent stuff for not too much.

But a 350 is always going to be cheaper. The flywheel and balancer will be easier to find used for the 350 (any low priced 383 will not be internally balanced and will need 400 flywheel and balancer).

I'd think about settling for a 350. It's still going to rock your world.

Whether it can be done for that money, I don't know.

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

It's still going to rock your world.

Oh, I like the way that sounds! icon_smile.gif

BTW, Jack, Pete is right about it making the Z very fast. $3500 is a downright low numbe, but it may actually work if you can fab the JTR kit yourself. There are some things that you will have to buy: tranny, mounts, get driveshaft changed, suspension, exhaust, fuel pump, etc. Are the wheels stock? You'll need wider tires for the rear for sure. You may be able to do it for $3500, but it will be a wheel & deal, look for the bargains type of conversion (which is not a bad thing BTW). All this is IMO.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Everyone keeps saying there are deals to be had.. they are right. You just have to pay attention or be in the right place at the right time... I got my 95 vette LT1 and 6 speed for $1200... and an ATI ProCharger kit for $1100... and an R230 LSD for $100.

If I stay lucky I will find all I need for brake upgrades, and I'll be set, save for a fuel pump and custom drive shaft and half shafts..

Crap, now I sound smug.

Of course there are lots of tools I've had to buy for this project too.

Then there's the small matter of the car's body...

Oh, and the 6 speed is a ZF6 not a T56.. If you want to stay in your budget, do yourself a favor and stay with what's tried and true. T56's just plain fit. SBC's just plain fit. R200's just plain fit. I don't know what rear brakes fit, but Toyota 4x4 calipers on the front are straightforward. You could probably even leave the rear drums alone. I know there is much debate about whether the 240sx disc swap helps anyway.

Maybe stick a 280z(x?) 2+2 brake master cylinder would help.