HybridZ

Update to dim headlights,Still got a question though

Ron240zxt

Hello All,

Well I finally stuck relays inline to get the correct voltage to the headlights before i did this the voltage read 11.24 volts on the right and 10.03 volts on the left. pretty sad even with high beams on... This is what i did i got two relays one for each headlight. I followed the harness back and intercepted the wiring between the headlights and the fuse block the Right light was Red and Left light wire was Red/Yellow in the same loom. I ended up cutting the wires apart and from the light side it went to relay terminal 87 and the side from the fuse block that sends voltage when headlight switch turns on went to relay terminal 86. Terminal 85 goes to ground and terminal 30 now goes to fusable link at the battery terminal.....We now have 12.4 at the lights with out the car running and they are now white not yellow anymore

icon_smile.gif

Now here is the question i assume in need to diode isolate the relay somewere reason being the relays stay generated... icon_confused.gif Until i click the high beams on or off... Which terminal do i put the diode or resister across? Next steep is to get the inside lights brighter across the dash.....

Thanks for the help

Ron

HI RON240zxt. I think you have to separtate the relays to run both High beams on one relay, and the low beams on another. Not one relay for left and one for right. I'm not sure if the 240z are wired different than the 280zx's but on the 240 the light switch grounds out when you want the lights to turn on.Power is constantly supplied to the back of the light. So with that in mind you have to supply 12v to one side of the coil of the relay and then connect the original wire(red.Red/yel)to the other side of the coil to compltete the circuit,since the the original wire(red)actually grounds out.I hope i didn't confuse you.Hope this helps.

Hey Ron. We just converted our headlight system using 2 relays exactly like Pete Paraska has it on his website. Just like FastZcar mentioned; one relay is for the lowbeam and the 2nd is for the high beam. It was very simple the way that Pete had it drawn out. Like always with wiring; we always draw it out on paper first so that we can fully understand the wring schematic and what's involved. I can fax you our drawing if that would help you. But Pete's schematic is much easier and nicer to read. Hope this will help you out. twak.gif J & G