HybridZ

New 240... WHAT ENGINE!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys...

I need your help. I'm looking to buy a 70-72 240z, and I'm stuck on the type on engine to slap in it. For what it's worth, I want to keep a Nissan v6 (nothing against V8's). I've heard talk about the RB30ET and others. I thought about the L28ET for ease of cost and install. What's your opinion? I'm not looking to smoke the 1/4 or red lights... I'm building a road racer, so most my money will be in suspension anyway. Anything around 200 HP is fine.

Give me your opinions about a good and easy to install motor that will produce at least 200 HP. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Follow Up...

Where can I find these engines? What's the best place? Should I by a rebuilt or try the cheaper junk yard route? Any links would be great.

Guest Anonymous

Stock turbo motor, intercooler, more fuel pressure, turn up the boost and hang on. 200hp should be no problem at all, and it all bolts in.

Regards,

Lone

yer i second lone, if you can get hold of a 280zx turbo motor your right at 200hp with just a little more boost intercooler. and some other little stuff

you can also get 200hp out of a N/A motor but for street that would be around a good maximum, IMO, you could get it to around 220hp a L28 N42 10.5:1 comp, ported/polished/shaved head, but a turbo motor would be better on the economocal side and on cost side i'd say, but matters what your connections are...

or if you can find a RB30et they are 150kw stock, but matters where you are from, and the avalibility for parts, engine cost etc..

• 1 month later...

i'm looking to get a 70-73 240z and want the 280zx turbo motor. what year should i get the motor from?(new to datsuns) do i need to get the trans and drive shafts too?

what is l28 n42? i was reading another post and there was n47 or 48 something like that.. is there a site i can read up on this?

is the 280zx turbo motor the only one that will bolt in without modding the mounts?

thanks jimmy

jvh22a: I wouldn't worry too much about what year to get a zxt engine. I would just worry about the price and condition. You can use your tranny (unless you want to change to a 5spd?) A 240z stock would have a 2.4 liter engine (L24) and a 280zx would have a 2.8liter (L28) any 6cyl L series engine will bolt up. N42 is a type of cylinder head. you can read more about that @

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/heads.html