HybridZ

Who is running 17X9s or 18X9s with stock, unflared S30 fenders?

This is a sequel to a thread by another member currently running which asks:  "Who is running 16X8s in unflared fenders?"  I thought I would raise the stakes a little and ask about the wheel size I'm hoping to jam into my fenders.  I'm currently in the process of upgrading my autocross footware to Hoosier A6s and it looks like I might be able to go up in width from what I currently 225/50/16 Khumos via coilovers and camber plates.  I'm thinking that by increasing the wheel diameter, I can run more backspacing.  If I look at the attached video, there's room for more!  Looking for thoughtful input, preferrably personal experiences.

I've got coil overs with 17"X9.5" wheels front and back and rolled fenders with no flares. I have the AZC suspension, so I can adjust it a bit to fit under there, but it does fit with 255s.  I've done a few autocrosses and haven't had any rubbing issues yet.

It looks like I'm gonna need something like a +20-ish offset in either a 17 or 18 X 9" rim.  Unfortunately, it looks like Rota RBRs (my favorite wheel) are only available in (-) offsets in that kind of width.  The closest I'm finding in an off-the-shelf wheel is a Rota Grid, which has a +25 offset. I guess I could get some of those and run a spacer to achieve a centered wheel/tire....anybody else see some inexpensive wheels that would be close?  Even with my extended studs, I think a 3/4" spacer is about all I could fit.  Super nice cars, guys.  Zack, you must be running stiff springs to deal with those close tolerances!

The springs are stiff, but the ride's ok.  I think it rides better than my other car with Tokico struts and Eibach springs.  I have to admit that I was pretty shocked it all worked.  I do have to run some 10mm spacers in the back due to running out of camber adjustment on the top.  I pretty much just eyeballed the camber plate before welding it on and it probably could have stood to be a little further outboard.

I have 17x8 +17mm (245/45/17), 17x9 +17mm (275/40/17) Roh Snypers on my car and I think they would fit an unflared Z with coilovers. I picked them up as part of a group-by with some Supra guys about 8 years ago. The offset wasn't what I wanted, but the size and price fit, so I bought them and used spacers to fill out the flares.

I'm pretty sure I have some photos with them on my car before I cut the fenders, I'll post them when I find them.

Eventually I'd like to get away from the spacers and pick up some RBRs or something similar with the correct offset.

Yes, please.  I'd like to see them.  I'd love to be able to fit 275s on the car.  I have a 245/45/16 that I am going home to test fit on my 16X8 +10 RBRs.  I have no idea what a Roh Snyper looks like.  I'll try to google it while awaiting a photo.

Ok I lied, I don't think a 275 would fit without rolling the fender. I went through my photos and these are the best pictures I could find. The tire sticks out about 1" in the rear. The lip of the wheel looks almost directly in line with the fender too.

post-563-0-72394400-1368116900_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-50814400-1368116928_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Zack_280 are you running spacers?  So edit...  my brother bought some XXR 527s in 17x9.75 +25 for cheap and I was hoping they would work on my car. I am running Ground Control springs and KYB struts with ZG flares. Will they fit???

Edited by wasey