HybridZ

Where can i find motor mounts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

so i dont have to custom make them how much would they run me for like some of the old scarb motor mounts and where can i find them???? i really dont wana fab motor mounts so that i know there right the first thing i need to do is put the 600hp motor in the z and hit the gass one time and brake the motor mounts i would be so screwed

<---still looking for 85 camaro top loader 5 speed icon_biggrin.gif

The JTR parts are $70. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Stealth.html#datsun

The Scarab mounts are still available from Hooker, as well as the headers, as far as I know. There's always John's Cars for a Scarab placement too, but that's an expensive kit.

Kim makes the Scarab type mounts sound easy to make though.

Guest Anonymous

Gee thanks Pete. I've been trying to stay out of this one!

But to answer Racecar's question:

A quick measurement from the center motor mount bolt hole on the SBC block to the center of the trans shifter location is a good place to start when trying to determine which motor mount setup will work best for you. Most top loader transmissions which will bolt up to a SBC are fairly short when compared to the actual dimension of the Z car. ( From front cross member engine mounting point to existing shifter opening in tunnel).

This disparity in lengths pretty much dictates the use of a 3.5 inch set back position motor mount of some kind. JTR is the only documented method of achieving a 3.5 inch setback that I know of.

Should you choose to use an auto, (I like mine auto for lots of reasons) you can use the 1.25 inch setback Scarab type mount.

And they are very easy to make. Simply copy the front "vertical" angle of the existing OEM crossmember motor mount by cutting 2x2 inch heavy wall square tubing at this angle. Make a cut approximately every 3 inches and offset drill (3/8th inch)holes to allow for a 1.25 in back set to the mount. The holes will be centered left to right on the tubing.

I wouldn't recommend trying to offset 2x2 square tubing mounts by more than 1.25 inches, because the mount becomes more unstable the further back you go. (Unless the mount is designed to either be supported by additional vertical stabilizer arms like the MSA 2.5 inch mount or made of flat plate as in the JTR Kit.)

If you are concerned about breaking the torque side motor mounting point, you might consider the old tried and true drag racer method (a.k.a. 1971 Chevy Nova motor mount fix) of literally chaining the left side of the motor down.

I did this once and found that if I put the chain inside an old bicycle inner tube, that the chain would not rattle in the non stretched/torqued position.

It was kind of a "belt and suspenders" approach, but in those days I had no data to go by, so I erred on the side of caution.

Racecar, your heart is in the right place, V8's belong in Z cars, just try to relax and enjoy the good people on this board. I know of no other place in the world where one can go to ask questions on this subject.

I have been doing the Z car thing for a quarter of a century now and I am always amazed at what I learn by listening (reading) the posts on this site and its collective boards.

By the way, thank you Dan for making this possible.

Kim

82racecar,

I think you mentioned somewhere else that you want to put an "85 Camaro toploader 5 spd trans" in the car. That'd be the WC T-5.

That trans can work but if you abuse it or try to ram LOTS of torque through it, it may not last.

If you are going with anything but an auto, the JTR placement works out better, since with the Scarab placement, the shifter for the T-5 comes up where the fuse box is. The JTR mounts the engine/trans almost 4" rearward in placement, so it works better for the T-5 install. I know Kim said it but I was just elaborating a bit.

Guest Anonymous
icon_eek.gif really iv never heard of any one having probs with that trans its the one that came in the z28 with the 1st gear burn out gear i know people who have dun mad stuff and never had a prob hum... is there any other trany i could try somthing that every one else dont have i could git my hands on a 77 nove 3 speed but i would have to have a high rear gear and would lose speed out the hole rrr im driveing my selfe in cyrcles AND IM NOT USEING A AUTO other wise let me know.. i feal a little lost on trany info icon_confused.gif

Search for T-5, T5, WC etc. in the drivetrain forum - this topic has gotten alot of mileage.

Even though the T-5 is rated for 305 lbft, the light Z helps it live. There are several fast Z's that don't have problems and aren't breaking them, but some have.

Alternatives are the later F-body T-56 (93-97?) and the Tremec TR-3550 series that a few outfits convert for GM use.