HybridZ

help with my flywheel prob

I have a 1989 350 out of an iroc camaro , when I purchased it there was no flywheel  . The problem come when I try to find the stock one I can't find one . Do I have to use thie stock one or can use an after market 153 tooth one ? help

U can use the 153 tooth.  They seem to be more common but some SBC's had a the 168 i think is the number.  The larger flywheel won't fit in some of the generations of transmissions.  I believe you want a 9 tooth type starter. On your block are your bolt holes for the starter staggered or are the straight across from eachother on that block?

Look at your harmonic balancer, is it internal or externally balanced?

It sometimes will have an extra weight on inner circumference in the side cloesest to the engine block.

This is very important, if its internally balanced with no weights you should be "okay" with an oem.

If its externally balanced, you could try and run an oem flywheel but there is always a chance of running the motor off balance and destroying it

Edited by Robftw

U can use the 153 tooth.  They seem to be more common but some SBC's had a the 168 i think is the number.  The larger flywheel won't fit in some of the generations of transmissions.  I believe you want a 9 tooth type starter. On your block are your bolt holes for the starter staggered or are the straight across from eachother on that block?

All gm transmissions fit both 168 and 153 flexplates as for the starter,  straight bolt = 153 spread bolt = 168