HybridZ

What was the first year for factory fuel injection?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please forgive my ignorance. My friend and I were having a discussion and the topic came up. I said it was the 75 280Z and he is saying the 74 260Z.

Please help me resolve this little dispute. Heck, we're both probably wrong anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Mike

Guest Anonymous

You were right!

I have what is technically a '75 260Z, I know not many around, that was built in 12/74 and it is carborated! It had been changed to '72 carbs but it was obviously never FI, judging by the low pressure gas tank, fuel pump, and lack of an FI computer. Not to mention the choke linkage in the console. From this I feel quite confident in saying that all 240's and 260's sold in the US were carborated and all 280Z - 350Z sold here were and will be FI.

One thing that surprised me however is that the 260 does have electronic ignition system.

Guest Anonymous

The 1975-1978 280Z was fuel injection in the U.S. The 74 260z had carbuarators. In Britian the 260z, with carborators, stayed there until the 1979 280ZX. Mark

Guest Anonymous

FWIW, the Nissan factory service manuals contain no information on fuel injection until the 1975 model year. Also, the Nissan Fuel Injection supplement was produced in 1975.

There were 2 distinctly different 260z's:

1. 1974 260z, very similar to a 240, with bumper shocks on the front and rear with the 240z style bumpers, the updated dash (ala 280z) and had the HMB carbs (flat top).

2. EARLY 1975, more like a 280z, 280z style bumpers, but still had the flat top carbs. Other than that the same as a '74.

BUT ... there are some last model 260z's with EFI. They were having so many problems with the HMB carbs towards the end that they started to use the EFI. there are not many cars that got it, but it was a reliablity problem, and people weren't buying them because of it. I have seen 2 ever.

So I guess the answer is the 1975 260z.

Al flamedevil.gif

Guest Anonymous

Wow, I didn't realize I had stumbled upon a non-definitive question. I figured it would be very cut and dry, but it seems there is a bit of "cloudiness" to the answer.

Thanks for all the responses. icon_smile.gif

Mike