HybridZ

Mikunis vs. Webers - advice please.

Guest larkja

Guest larkja

I have a 3.0L Rebello engine with stock SUs and plan on upgrading the carbs. I can get new triple Mikunis with intake for $1,500 or a very nice set of triple Weber 40s with intake for $500. Any advantage of one over the other?

Thanks

Jim

Guest ShelbyZ

I just put on a set of triple webers. I take it from the $500 price you are talking about purchasing used carbs. This is the route I went,but found that the carbs I bought are the old style. My neighbor has the newer style. Older type the air horns go around the auxiliary venturi and thru the backing plate on the air cleaners. The newer type don't go thru the backing plate of the air cleaners. I needed one of the auxilary venturi and finally found it in CA at Pierce Manifold. They also have air horns. I just bought several items from them and they were good to deal with. K&N airfilters new type-air horns won't go thru the backing plate. I ended up having to enlarge the openings. Just a couple of things I found out AFTER I bought my carbs. I wanted the Mikuni carbs because I had always heard they were better, but couldn't afford them. One other thing, I have never had Mikuni's but the linkage on the stock Webers I didn't like. I changed it to a setup that I got from Top End Performance in CA and I like it a whole lot better. Hope this helps. Let know what ya decide.

ShelbyZ

Guest Anonymous

i have had both, mikunis and webers, i like mikunis. i haven't ever rebuilt them and they are 20 years old. still fire up and run fine. now as far as the webers, at an autocross, they would buck and sputter around while at lower rpms, but if floored, they would clear out. had a friend who had the solex's, eh, no opinion here, i liked my mikes.....

Guest Anonymous

what about the 2" jag SU's? I read they are a direct bolt on (with some linkage fabrication), and unlike the webers which are from what I read 2-step carbs, they adjust mixture continuously.

Guest Anonymous

ShelbyZ has some merit as i have been told SOLEX are the older model mikuni, so mikuni and solex is the same company i believe but the mikuni carbs are the newer model. my 510 buddy told me that...

Guest ShelbyZ

Both of the sets of carbs I was talking about are webers. The Webers I have were bought new in 1975. My neighbors Webers are about 12 years old. His carbs have the newer style venturi. When I went to put my new K&N air filters the backing plate hole for the airhorn was too small. I have since fixed this, but I was trying to save him some of the hassle I just went through. I had some of both types of venturi in my carbs. I also have noticed if I floor it from a low speed I have a little hesitation, but after that it goes like #@*%$. I wish I had purchased the Mikuni's now. Has anyone seen the guy on Ebay that is in Italy that has all of the different types of triple for sale. I have seen Webers and Dellortos under his listings. He doesn't have intakes or linkage, but that available here and they were like $239 for a set of triples.

Keep ZZZZZin

ShelbyZ icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ZmeFly

i bought the carbs from that guy in italy shipping was pretty fast concidering when i had made my purchase it was 6 days before 9/11, the cam packaged very well the carbs were very clean and in great shape. i had one though that had a broken piece on it. i emailed him, to tell him of this. he immediately at his expense, sent me a new part and was going to send a whole new carb. the guy is great. i would deal with him anytime. twak.gif

Guest Anonymous

As far as performance goes they are 6 and one 1/2 a dozen. But we got better throttle response and a tiny bit more top end hp (9hp@6400) out of the webber (vs the dellortos) fuel ecconomy was identical.

Cheers, hope that helped.

The Italian guy is selling what seems to be a nice set of triple Dellortos 40 side draft. Any thoughts on the intake I will need to match up to an N42 head? The other thought is boring out my SUs - I heard this is a great way to go but would like some feedback if out there.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

No matter which you choose (I prefer Webers myself), expect to perform additional tuning and the additional cost associated with it.

I also have a Rebello 3.0L, and I run 45mmDCOE w/ 38mm chokes. Sort of doggy below 3500rpm, but after that it screams like a banshee. I think Dave Rebello stated that triple DCOEs offered an additional 10-15hp in the top end of the power band; albeit at a slight loss in low-end.

If someone asked me, I'd say SUs are still superior for everyday driving and all around useable power, especially if you opt for some big bores. But for all out performance, the triple setup is notably better.

Guest ShelbyZ

I saw that Top End Performance in CA has intakes available and they have a really nice billit linkage setup. I recently bought the linkage setup and it works great. Looks a whole lot better than the factory setup and stays put when I get everything set. I think that Top End gets their parts from TWM Induction in GA. Their site is www.webercarbs.com. They also have a plastic air cleaner that goes around all three carbs and you can run an air inlet tube to the front side of the radiator support. This is something they just came out with. This is what I wanted to begin with but didn't have any luck finding one until after I bought the 3 K&N filter setup.

I'm glad to hear good things about the guy in Italy. I came really close to buying a set of carbs from him. Sounds like a real stand-up guy. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry if I have gotten a little off track from the initial post, but maybe more options have come to light for Jim to look at.

Keep ZZZZZZZin

ShelbyZ

Guest Anonymous

I also have the TWM linkage upgrade and it's light-years better than the stock bent sheetmetal crap. Things actually stay put besides looking 1000% nicer. I highly recommend it.

TWM also recently introduced a "cold-air box" for 6 cylinder applications. They don't have any real details available on the website yet, such as overall dimensions and such, but it looks nice. They have two versions, a regular fiberglass and a carbon fiber, it's not plastic although it appears that way in some photos. Of course they charge a premium for the carbon version. Prices were somewhere ~$400 for the fiberglass and $900 for the carbon fibe if I recall. A bit pricey, but a cold-air induction setup should really help out in the power department since we don't have a cross-flow head.

Guest jcp240z

First some history

Solex carbs come in two version. The original Solex carbs where actually Mikuni's. Solex was a tuner and sold packages. Later, Solex designed their own carbs. Took the best features of both the Webers and Mikunis. Many parts are interchangable. They were sued by Weber and Mikuni for patent infringements, stealing designs, etc. and eventually stopped selling their carbs.

According to Dave Rebello he measures 280cfm for stock SU's. On his 3.0l he would recommend either 45 Webers or his modified SU's.

The modified SU's are bored out to 50mm and flow 350cfm. They also keep the nice low end respounce and good around town drivability of the SU's. You can also do the 2" SUs from a Jag. The same comments apply.

My current setup is a Rebello 3.0l w/ 50mm SU's.

I've been very happy with it.

Looks like I'll be picking up a set of triple Webers - used - with air horns, filter elements, linkage, and cannon intake. From the pics, they look very clean. I will be meeting with the guy on Sunday for the transaction. Any advice (what to look for) to tell if these are in good shape?

Thanks

Jim