HybridZ

LS1 Graveyard Gold??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know the LS1 swap can be done and feel I've got the skills to do it, but my question is for people who have already done this swap. Obviously most of you did not buy a new LS1 crate motor, if you did my wallet envys you icon_eek.gif . What if anything have you done to these motors, like inspections, part replacements, etc to make these motors ready? What signs of uh-oh should I look for on an LS1?

Thanks,

-Chris

Guest super280z

personally i have not done the LS1 swap so if you want just concider my info useless..

i've done a little work on some gen 3 small blocks but not too extensive. most motors are still in great shape. obviously, stay away from burned motors. we all know what happens to aluminum when it heats up. but your basic motor tech applies here. remember it's just a hunk of metal like every other motor. if it spins freely, has good compression (get a compression tester.. enough said.) look for signs of a rebuild. oozing pookie (sealant) from who knows where, if possible blow through the coolant system with a compressor and see what emerges. just your basic stuff. there are not too many problems with this motor. good luck on your findings. icon_wink.gif

ooh and BTW welcome to the board.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Super280z ]

Guest Anonymous

yeah, i'll definately have the basics checked. living in MT though I'll either have to trust the person I am buying it from and what they tell me or make a really long drive. The biggest supply of them seems to be in the sunshine belt. I was mainly interested more on the electrical side of things as this engine is pretty reliant on it's computer/sensors etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Having been burned on a trans I'd say go for one of the WELL KNOWN recyclers. The ones who advertise in Super Chevy etc. would be the ones I would trust as they have a name to protect. One of them even mentions specializing in swaps.

P.S. You mentioned electronics - I noticed just the other day that Holley's Commander series has a unit that will plug into the LS1 harness for $899. The LT1Edit folks have a beta for the LS1 stock ECU too. Almost wish I'd done this - if I'd known then what I know now...

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I am aware. I still have the JTR book JIC, bought it before I even decided on the LS1 (still possibility of LT1 which I believe is good under the JTR method). I've read all the threads on this list about how the motor mounts are further back, etc.

-Chris

Guest Anonymous

make shure you look for CRACKS they suck beleve me and if your not looking for them you may over loot them and even then it could be cracken and you not even be able to see it make shure it holds water and oil if posable to check if you can hook some power up and a bell houseing and dump a little fuel in the intake and see if it will start it wont run smoth but if you poor a little fuel in a intake it will run its just a paint to do if it has a carb makes it a lot easyer