HybridZ

Oil pressure sending unit threads

RPMS

Hey, guys.

Sorry to have to ask such a basic question, but what size are the threads of the stock oil pressure sending unit? The Autometer unit has threads the correct pitch, but apparently the diameter is wrong to screw into the L26 block, and I'll need an adapter. Before they can supply the adapter, they need to know what size the hole is on my block. All 69-78 use the same size hole, I believe.

Thanks for the assist,

Here's a little help from a V8 guy. We have to deal with this in our convertion. First be aware that it is a metric PIPE thread (tapered). You may allready know this but many have made this mistake. I have found it very difficult to find metric pipe taps and dies. The good news is that it is very, very close to 1/8" pipe thread. If you use a little extra teflon tape 1/8" pipe thread will work fine. This is what jtr advises and it has worked just fine for me. I'm sure many here will concur.

Now to answer your question: I don't know. I tried and tried to discover the size but was unsuccessful.

Guest Anonymous

Go to an auto parts store and ask them.They apparrently sell metric adapter kits to mate american to metric and vice -versa. Mr. Juday is correct that little metric oil fitting is (almost) 1/8 American pipe and could fool mother nature dressed in teflon. The water temperature threads is not even close to 1/2 inch pipe thread. I spent over $30.00 modifying a brass water fitting when I could have bought an adapater for a little more than the brass fitting that was modified to metric threads.

I had the same problem and the local parts stores couldn't seem to help me, but one of the guys at the parts store suggested a place down the street that specializes in hydraulic hoses. Well I went down there and showed the guy what I needed and he took me in the back and it was quite literally a Mecca of lines, hoses and yes fittings! He gave me exactly what I needed and I said "Great, how much do I owe you?" Well it turned out to be a whopping $1.50! 2thumbs.gif So check and see if there are any hydraulic hose shops around town, they might just have exactly what you need? icon_biggrin.gif

The hose shop idea seems like a good one. Especially since I have the feeling I'll be needing them later on for A/C hoses.

I tried going to the local performance auto shop, one that even carries Autometer stuff. But all they did was shake their heads and suggest that I bring both sending units in so they could match them up. What's with that? You'd think that nobody with an import had ever tried to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge! Ignorance, especially of your own job, annoys me.

Guest Anonymous

The thread is metric and referred to as BSPT; which stands for British Standard Pipe Tapered. The actual size is 1/8-27, which means it's nearly identical to the SAE pipe thread of 1/8-28NPT (American Standard Pipe Tapered), hence the reason so many people think it's just a plain SAE pipe thread. But, this is what we Engineering types refer to as cross-threading, and with a pressured oil system, this can cause leaks. I don't recommend it.

There are basically two decent options;

a) re-tap the block for SAE type fitting

B) find an adapter

I took the "b" route myself as I installed a full compliment of autometer gauges, and as we all know, being designed and manufactured in America consist of SAE type fittings. The adapter I used was a simple Male-Female threaded adapter with the male threads obviously being 1/8-27BSPT and the female threads 1/8-28NPT. The supplier I used was Bay Pneumatics (http://www.baypneumatics.com) p/n (1/8 x 1/8 F3HG)

Dave

Guest Anonymous

As a newly converted JTR (Bible) man, this talk of metric and american standard is blasphemous against the true word.The bible only mentions teflon tape so there aint no other considerations.Could the Bible be wrong and mislead us???