HybridZ

Potential New Owner, Transmission Q's

Hello everyone, for the longest time I have dreamed of having a v8 Z and have decided now is finally the time to bite the bullet and do it!

One car which I am considering is a 240z that has already been converted to a Chevy 350. The car is very cheap because it has some minor body rust(underbody/frame appears solid still) and the guy who converted it ran out of money before he could finish hooking up some electronics such as the lights(hardware still there, just not wired).

However, the one major flaw which I have found in this car is that the current transmission is a powerglide 2 speed. I strongly prefer manuals and would like to eventually be able to switch to something along the lines of a t5 manual. I'm just curious if anyone has any input/advice on doing this switch. Mainly, I am curious if anyone can knows or can help me find specifics as far as the dimensions of a powerglide vs a t5 so that I can figure out if I will need to make modifications such as shifter location, driveshaft length etc. I've spent a good portion of the evening googling/searching to no avail.

I know it will be a fairly involved swap as I will need everything from the transmission to even the clutch pedal. I'm just curious if anyone has any input/advice/experience regarding this swap! Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Everything can be found searching. Google dimensions of transmissions. If you have to change a bit here there,that is the nature of the beast. I went from factory automatic to 700r4, to T6 speed,pedals,slave and all. Shifter location has been documented well for t5/6

Edited by John Scott

Hey Kaiserser and welcome to HybridZ! 

You have come to the right place.  First, get youself a copy of the Jags That Run (JTR) manual.  http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html  You will need to determine what method and/or kit was used to do the SBC conversion.  If it was the JTR method, with the engine set back, then the T5 or T56 shifter will come right up through the original hole in the tunnel and console.   

Photo7.jpg

If not I highly recommend that you remount the engine using the JTR mounts.  I have a Camaro WC T5 in my car and it is a great transmission with good ratios and smooth shifting.  My Z car was originally an automatic but it was easy to add the manual stuff.  The bracket is already in the car for the clutch pedal so go to a junk yard and pick one up along with the rubber stop, linkage and clutch master cylinder.  The rest is in the JTR manual. 

When you are done it should look like it came from the factory that way! 

Photo6.jpg

Edited by SpeedRacer