HybridZ

Wiper, tail lights and dash lights don't work

Ok just finished a turbo install.. Only wiring done was ignition on and fusible link (made seperately from all other wiring) for the ECU, and ground all the grounds for the harness. Turbo install is good and running well. I also wired in the boost controller and air fuel gauges. I drew power from the re-defogger switch in the center console. These all work no problem. I didn't touch anything else wiring wise and everything worked on this car before the swap.

So the wiper, parking/tail lights and dash lights. Put the fuse in for the tail lights and the fuse glows and will blow. 

When the fuse is in and working before blowing all the parking/tail and dash lights work. Looked at all connections for these lights. Seem good. I don't see any chafing, bare wires. Have not pulled the dash to look at that, seems a little extreme, but may have to to find something.

Now what do I check next? How do I  check them? Could it be something to do with the headlight switch? Looking at the fsm does not seem like the tail light switch is connected in any way with the wiper switch. Looking under the dash seems the headlight/turn stalks wiring goes up and in the dash behind the gauges. I know that the green wire coming out of the fuse box with the 20A fuse feeds power to the gauge lights and parking lights.

I took headlight switch apart and cleaned everything. Switch looked good wires did to but the wire connector lookd melted on the green and green/white side. here are picks.

20130606_190313_zpsaf748880.jpg20130606_190234_zpsb758a2a9.jpg

I have to do some wire chasing. 

Edited by tooquick260

Ok further onto my wiring saga.... I have been driving the car everyday. Had no tale lights, wiper and lost the gauges.

Now the tale lights are working and the gauges came back on. Still no wipers. checking voltage looking for the short. It is from the stalk switch under the dash. The plug for the rheostat for the dash lights is getting really hot as well as the rheostat. White plug that gets the white wires coming off of will not come apart as it is melted together. Found a ground wire that is melted and redid that.

I have to take the dash out and find out what is going on.

Anyone had these issues before. Its like a snake that keeps poking its head up.

Have a question? I moved the battery to the rear. on the negative battery terminal what wires are suppose to be attached to it for ground? is it a wire,wires from the dash wiring harness? I can remember where the ground wire attached? Was it on the Motor? where on the motor? Good news is that I have the tranny and the rear diff solid mounted.

I relocated mine too . I just use neg. cable from term to body . Just make sure you have a good ground cable from body to block . And add more cables where you think is necessary , can't never have too many ground cables . On the positive side , I installed a 400 amp. ckt breaker near the bat. . Which I can switch off when working on electrical system which required bat disconnect . It also protects electrical short anywhere from bat to where the cable connects to , my case , fuse box on the 78 Z and starter solenoid on the 83 ZXT .