HybridZ

HELP ME!!!! pleeeeease

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok tonight i put in a distributer from a 1982 nissan maxima. after i hooked it up and it was all nice and happy i first tested to see if it was sparking by undoing the coil wire to the cap and placing it by the fender well, it sparked, so then i hooked it up to the cap and tried to start my car, it spurterd and banged and made all kinds of noises, the timing sounds really off to me, i was just wondering that if you put an electronic distributor in the car if you have to do something special before it works....pleeeease help!

To get a good starting point for setting the timing, try this:

turn the engine so that the #1 cyl is at top dead center on the compression stroke.

Then put a spark plug on the #1 plug lead and rest the spark plug on the engine (to earth the plug). Now switch on the ignition so that the distributor is getting/giving juice.

Now turn the distributor back and forth until the plug sparks. Keep turning it back and forth until you know exactly where it is sparking.

Now your timing is set at TDC. The car will fire now and run smoothly enough for you to set the timing accurately.

Hope this helps. If not the module on the distributor may be bad.

Tim