HybridZ

Need advice on a cam for my 280z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 77 280z with intake, exhuast, high flow cat, headers, and MSD ignition with coil and wires. I also live in CA where I have to worry about smog crap. My question is, will any kind of performance cam work on my car and still let me pass smog. I talked to a local Z mechanic and he said to go to Isky. I talked to a guy there that seemed really knowledgable and he told me to get a 280 duration and 480 lift for good performance and that I would still pass smog. However I then talked to three different people about this cam and all said that I would have a hard time passing smog, even one guy said that he had a much milder cam than that and he still didn't pass smog. I just want to know once and for all which cam I can do, if any, so I can either do it or sell my car. I'm getting real tired of always having to worry about this smog crap and if I can't make my Z any faster because of smog I'll sell it and get a 240.

I don't think anyone can give you a direct answer. You will have to install a cam and test it for yourself. There are too many variables involved to make a comparison with someone else's modified car.

I do suggest that you look for a shorter duration cam, especially for a street car. The old Nissan Hi Perf cam (.434" lift 256 duration) is a great cam for a mild stock motor like yours. Anything more than that is really a waste unless you raise the compression and do some head work.

Guest Anonymous

I have a smog lic. and I can say with that cam you will have some problems. It can be done. I spent the extra money and had the head opened up with bigger exhaust valves and a .495 lift and 280 duration. It was worth $1100 I spent. When it comes time for smog, find someone that has a clue and have them dyno your car to setup the right air/fuel ratio and to make sure the other smog stuff is working. After that get a brand new cat and you mite have to get one every 2 years. Those high flow cat's don't work that good so just get a big reguler one. If you need some advice email me at billyz@vlnk.net. Please do not ask me to do illegal stuff because I like to keep my smog lic.

Billy