HybridZ

Not a Z, but..

Badger

Okay, I don't have a Z (sadly), and I can't seem to find any information anywhere other than here, so I figured I'd post. 

I have a '96 hardbody in need of a new transmission. The 5th gear/Reverse shift fork had bent or broken, so I have no 5th or reverse currently. I can't seem to track down a FS5W71C anywhere out of a hardbody that is affordable. So my question is, what other cars/transmissions can I swap? From what I've gathered I can use a transmission out of a 240sx, 300ZX (non-turbo), hardbody, 180sx, or silvia. I don't know which bellhousings are different, though. I read that the 240sx transmission is slightly longer (~6" ) so I'd have to cut a hole for my shifter...my question is, what exactly is longer about it? Is it a bell housing length that's different? Thanks for any and all advice.

Years ago , when I had my 79 ZX , the trans in it was making noise ( bearings ) . I couldn't find a ZX 5 spd trans . The place I called , the guy told me that I can have either a 200SX or a Hardbody trans which will work . Bought the truck trans and it bolted right up . Man , the car had one hell of a pull from 1st through 2nd and then it just fell on its face after 2nd ( truck gearing ) . He didn't say what year Hardbody .