HybridZ

Need SSS510's Help Fitting an L28 in a 510

Guest Big Phil

Guest Big Phil

I know SSS510 has a turbo L28 in his 510. SSS510,how hard was it to get it in. Did you have to modify the firewall?.

The reason why I ask is that I just bought a LT1 for my 280z so I have a strong modified L28 just sitting in my garage and I would love to stick it in a 510 wagon. The motor puts out about 170 hp and with a 80 shot of NOS it would be a screamer.

Phil

PS. I already found the wagon on ebay the current bid is 150 bucks.

510 wagon for my L28

Guest Anonymous

well, if i could talk you out of it i will.if you go to www.vg30.com they have a complete bolt in kit for a vg 30 in a 510. it`s far less complicated.however, if you have your heart set on an L-28 , the firewall is going to have to be moved back about a foot.the tranny tunnel is going to have to be reformed and the brake, clutch ect lines are going to have to be rerouted.it`s a lot of work.i know of a 4 door 510 that already has a L-24 in it that could probably be purchaced very cheaply. e- mail me and i`ll give you the adress.

Guest Anonymous

I have a 510 wagon and a 280 motor with 240z head and carbs and have already lplaned the install but was wondering about the oil pan and sway bar interference is there any. and the firewall back a foot i've seen at least three 510's and it looks like about 4-6 inches and cut the tran tunnel out and move it back the same distance as the firewall. but have yet to do it either the l-28 or a l-20b will have to see the cost diiference since the l-28 is allready rebuilt. any info would be great

Guest Anonymous

if you are going to run the carbs a custom air cleaner assembly is going to have to be fabricated.( the cleaner runs into the brake master) . if it was me i would just build a strong L-20 shoot some NOS to it and be happy. or if you want some extra turbo it. i know of a cartech turbo manifold for sale now for a 4cly L-series motor. it is a bunch of work to install a L-6 in a 510. a custom center link had to be fabricated for my car and the cost wasn`t cheap. i think with the time factored in if you have to have a 6cyl i would do a v-6 conversion.it would be a lot less hassle in the long run.give wwwvg30.com at least a look . my .02

Guest Anonymous
bonk.gif What's Up guys? Just a thought but why not run a KA24E and slap a turbo on it? I'm in the process of trying that combo out myself. (Got the motor, still sourcing the turbo and car :rolleyes: ) For me it was the cheap HP that interested me in that combo. Motor is 250 bucks out of the junkyard...Anyways just a suggestion. Take it easy!

Guest Anonymous

cool, there are a ton of 510 conversions that have been done.sr20, 13b rotary, ka24, fj20.ca20de. the 510 is a good solid starting point for alot of conversions.

I'd recommend an SR20DET swap if I didn't know firsthand the kind of work (and, more importantly, $$$) that goes into it. The only real way to do it is to go to Mario Lozano. He's like the JTR of SR20 swaps. He has completed two that are running at the moment. I have three friends who are all building 510s. One will be done in a couple of months, another will be done later than that - it would have been done sooner if he hadn't decided to build up the motor with Crower titanium rods, JE pistons, etc etc. The third guy wants boost but may eventually ent up with an individual throttle body NA setup because his budget is less. The first two guys are big spenders. Both have huge turbos (one a T3/T4 hybrid, the other a T3/60-1), custom polished Greddy intake manifolds, all kinds of expensive stuff... you know, oil caps, $900 Mario-special exhaust manifolds, and so on.. Mario will be doing all their piping and exhaust and faibricating custom driveshafts and intercoolers.. he does the motor mounts and modifies the oil pan to clear the transmission, and fabricates the tranny mount, as well. His work is bar none - I hear gossip that he has been good friends with the owner of Greddy USA for something like 20 years and does custom work for them when they can't do it in house. He designed the turbo manifolds and piping for Mazda when they were testing a turbo MP3. and so on.. a really cool, funny guy.

These pictures are 2 years old..

http://fiveoneoh.com/shasta_5/

Guest Anonymous

you said something about a turbo manifold how much and where? that would be great too. I have an L-20b and could either build it for a turbo or put 280z flattops and a ported intake what do you think? I think the same way about v8 z's but soon as I get the overdrive trans I might change my mind But spending as much as I did on the swap I could of had a sweet turboed L-28 that gets better then 8 mpg and can be driven all the time even though the engine has tons of torque all the time it would be more fun to have turbo and just turn up boost when you need it. It cost more for the carb and intake then you could go to a wreaking yard and pick up a turbo motor & trans with all of the extraz and not have to fab any parts to make everything work. oh well soap box should be kick out of underneath me.

This site is Awesome I love all the people building their cars.