HybridZ

Proper lash pads

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all. This place is incredible! I am new here so forgive me if I look afool. Anyway, I recently bought a 72 240 in great shape. I got it from my uncle who had it for the last 12 years and really took good care of it. I drove it for about 2 weeks and the oiler plugged up and really messed up the cam and followers. No big deal. I bought a new cam (Stage 2} and followers. I couldnt get the valves adjusted correctly and had lots of lifter tick. I finally found out that I had to replace the lash pads. I was told to go with a .180 lash pad and I am curious if this is correct.

Thanks,

240Rod.

Guest Anonymous

OK. I guess that is the right size lash pad as nobody has responded. Any response would be good. Also, Some advise on tuning SU carbs would be great. They are the dome type as I think everything on this car is original. Thanks.

240Rod

Actually, we (as a group) would need more info to help you with lash pads--there's a lot of variables that go into proper selection (cam specs, etc)-IIRC, there are a bajillion different options for those things.

As far as the SU tuning goes, step 1 is get yourself a UniSyn carb synchronizer (either MSA or your local VW shop-about $30) if you don't already have one. Step 2 is find someone local that knows them and can pass on some hands on training; or go to www.ztherapy.com and order the 4 hour "Just SU" videotape--Scott did a hell of job putting together everything you need to get your car running right

Probably a lot more info we could pass on, just a few pionts I can think of for right now

Jim

Guest V8wannabe

Check the lash pad to see if it is the right height. Take a rocker arm off and use a black marker to put a layer of ink on the lash pad (the one against the cam lobe). Rotate the engine one full tirn and take the rocker arm off for inspection, the wipe should be close to centre on the arm pad. If that's not what ya got, a thicker pad will move the wipe back closer to the pivot point. Or you could just check with the cam manufacturer! Good luck

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys! I am still waiting delivery of said lash pads. Another question I have is the cam sprocket. I put the new cam (zsport said it was a stage 2) in the other day and I lined the sprocket back to the original setting. Thus meaning that it is still at # 1 setting. Is it advisable to put the sprocket at #2 or number #3 as for timing chain strech, or is this just for performance? I am real new to this so I really appreciate all input. The car ran real good before I changed the cam and lifters. Good compression in all six and doesnt burn a drop of oil. L24 stock and I am sure it is all original. One more thing is I want to totally strip all smog crap. Any good ideas on that would be nice. Thanks all. You guys are great!

240Rod.

Well, as far as adjusting the cam gear position, turn the engine until the piston is at TDC. Then check the cam mark (small V on the indide of the cam) with the cam mark ojn the head (small dash) and see where they line up. If they are off, then move the cam to position #2 or #3 to adjust for timing chain stretch.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Z's

~mike