HybridZ

L28 carb to Efi swap help

LOOOONG time reader and first time poster on here. I searched and searched and searched but all i could find is EFI to carb swaps on an L28 but no carb back to EFI swaps. So heres my scenario 

Well its summer time and time to get the ole lady under the knife.
I bought the car ~6-7 months ago with alot of work already done but now i wanna take her to the next level

The car is a 74 260z with a l28 swap and holley 4 barrel conversion

The previous owner used to autox her so i guess that justifies the carb conversion but i plan on using her more for a street car. 

So now comes the swap and my ignorance.
L28's came with EFI correct? 
But early model 260z's didnt.
I am well aware that ill need a stock intake manifold and fuel rail but am unsure of whats next. 

I plan on replacing the rusted out stock fuel tank so il be going witha fuel cell in the rear and will get one with a baffle in it so no worries on that part.
Will also be getting a walboro 255 inline pump.
Plan is to run a T3 turbo off stock manifold or might have to get an aftermarket manifold if i cant find one.
Already have the vibrant intercooler and tubing as well as an electric fan.
I know il need to tap into the oil pan for the turbo and have heard that a dizzy gear and shaft from a turbo'd stock Z will work for now.
I know il need a TPS sensor and i saw that the GM one will work.
I'll be running a 3" turbo back exhaust and hope to push around 8-10psi
I know that may seem like alot for a high compression L28 but im willing to risk it and see how long it last because i have another block that will get built right once mine goes pop. Then again detonation is what kills engines, not boost , so with a proper tune and MIGHT have to use race gas, i should be fine.

On to the part i have no clue about.

Since the car didnt come stock with EFI, I have no idea what to order. I dont want to order a kit for an L28 but they send me one for a 280z that came with EFI and expect me to have a module to plug and play into.
I plan on building this car right so every part that gets replaced or breaks, will get upgraded for future use.
Which is why instead of going with a stock wire harness and computer i want to go with a Megasquirt

I want to run Megasquirt on it for tuneability (turbo build is happening on the side) and know i can use ford 30# injectors .After that, im blank. I have no idea what part #'s i need or anything. I know ill need their wire harness to plug into my stock sensors and will need an ECU from them as well(right?). Well which ones am i supposed to order?
Extremely sorry for my ignorance but id be extremely grateful of some help happy.gif

Note to self: Just buy a car thats all stock from now on so dont have to worry about piecing stuff together like so

Yeah the guy you bought that 260z from had kinda pieced the car together. It was listed on the houston craigslist and the hybrid z classifieds for a while. I would get a rusted 280zx turbo and swap the whole setup over to get your project started. Run it like that and then decide if you want megasquirt. If you take on too much at once your will nor financial supplies will allow you to finish. Also PLEASE read the forums, all the megasquirt info can be found throughout the site. DIYAutotune should be able to hook you up with everything you need as well. Welcome to hybrid z.

Yea I know it wasnt the best car ever put together but it ran, had a relatively rust free body, and good paint. It was the best one i could find at the time for the price. 

I was on DIYAutotune website last night and thats where i got confused seeing all the Megasquirt I, II,III, etc. 

Finances arent a major issue with this part of the build because i know for a fact i want to be able to tune it and eventually have a datalog system setup which is why i wanna go with an aftermarket setup to begin with and just get it right the first time. 

I wouldnt mind talking to fellow Z owners around Texas but couldnt find any facebook pages and there arent many forums that still are active besides this one.

I suggest if you haven't done so, find and read the megamanual so you can understand what you will be doing and how to install megasquirt first. You will need to read it quite a few times. Just do some research and gather all the info and parts that you need.

You can use MS2 or MS3 the choice is all up to you. You can build it yourself or have it built for you. What helps is you deciding how your going to run the engine, With a distributor or Without. How your going to provide spark to the system also. You can make or buy a relay setup. The MS Unit is the ECU. Buy the install harness.

You have a lot of information to gather up so take your time and enjoy reading and learning. :icon7:

Actually just found the megamanual this morning! Bookmarked it and will be reading it religiously tonight :)

Id like to build it myself to get familiar with it incase i ever have issues down the road il be able to find and fix them.

And thanks for the help! Il be sure to post back up with questions after reading over the manual and taking notes.

Just gotta get the car on the road and running healthy by Tx2k14

Okay so far i have this much figured out

Il need to order the MegaSquirt -II ECU($450)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-ems-system-smd-pcb357-assembled-ecu-p-171.html

The stimulator seems to be highly recommended and i wanna get it right the first time so that too($70)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-stimulator-v22-assembled-unit-p-33.html

The cable($6)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-tuning-cable-db9-straight-thru-p-35.html

Wire harness ($85)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/1239-megasquirt-wiring-harness-ms1-ms2-ms3-ready-p-43.html

Wideband($200)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/innovate-lc1-digital-wideband-controller-with-sensor-3769-p-41.html

Relay board($95)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirt-relay-board-assembled-unit-p-32.html

Since i am going to turbo it I want the IAT as well so that too ($24)

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gm-open-element-iat-sensor-with-pigtail-p-62.html

The stock fuel tank is trashed and leaks horribly when full and is in the way of exhaust so will also be getting a fuel cell in back of car while at it

($250)

And the fuel pressure regulator($150)

Walboro 255 Inline pump ($100)

So that should complete my fuel system besides injectors and fuel rail.

Now I have to figure out the distributor and spark issue. It may not be much but its a start. I originally had a $3,000 budget for the EFI conversion but seems like il come in under that depending on what im missing lol.

Also, thanks for not flaming me with replies like " SEARCH NOOB!"

Im trying my best to get all the answers from research but sometimes it just helps confidence to have someone to double check with and get advice from.

Edited by Sleeper260z

An off-topic question is, would the fuel cell come with a surge tank/baffle built in or am i gonna have to something seperate? I know i need some kind of baffle for a boosted application so am just curious while im figuring the parts list up

Off topic: That depends on the tank, some have foam which takes the place of a baffle.  you'd need to ask Summit about the particlar tank and what your intention for use is. If you're doing Track, then yes baffling would be good. Drag, you'd need a smaller foam filled tank.  Also a lot of rules say you have to have metal separating the tank and your passenger compartment.  Opening your hatch to refuel sucks too.

On Topic: Which Intake manifold have you found?  For Turbo, you'd probably want to find a non-EGR intake,  That's going to dictate a little, and it's a good start, since you can then choose your TB. Which I didn't see on your list.   Look up L28 turbo conversions since 95% of this is the same as converting a NA L28 to Megasquirt Turbo.  The Tank, Pump and manifold are all just returning the car to "stock".  you may be able to DL some "tunes" already setup. (the beauty of MS)

AH yea i almost forgot this thread ! lol 

Unfortunately it seems that the webbed manifolds with EGR are all i can find. Think i might just have to deal with it :(

My entire Megasquirt system has been ordered.

Im going to use the 60mm 240 TB 

supra 440cc injectors

pallnet fuel rail

dual electric fans(cause i already have them in my shop)

Garret 3076r turbocharger

tial external BOV(will be dumped either behind front tire or from hood)

Godspeed wastegate

Full 3" turboback exhaust

Wideband 02 sensor and gauge

High volume oil pump

Purchased a stock turbo oil pan but not sure if i just wanna tap mine now so i dont have to get a new pickup tube

Front mount intercooler setup

Then of course the fuel cell and walboro.

I think that about sums it up.

Uhh goal is to have a 10psi tune for daily driving and a 16psi tune for balls out racing.

My tuner said he can do it so im confident in him.

Im prolly missing something but you get the main idea :P

Ive been researching for about 5 hours a night every night since i started this thread and have alot more knowledge and confidence now