HybridZ

Choice of transmission for LT1 240z

Good Morning Folks,

I recently acquired a mostly stock rebuilt LT1 (Mahle pistons, stock everything else) that I plan to drop into my '71 240z with stock ECU.

Performance wise, my plan is just to have a rather fun car that can hold it's own, I'm not looking to necessarily be the fastest thing around. I do have plans to hit up the 1/8 and 1/4 mile strip, but I'm not trying to be very competitive.

With that said, I can not afford a T56, so my options are: 4L60E, 700r4 and a WC-T5. I'm having trouble sourcing a WC-T5 locally, but I see 4L60E's and 700r4's to be plentiful. The only automatic V8 z I've been in was Domz's LS1/4l60E and it seemed to be plenty quick. I've driven manual's all my life for my cars, so I'm weary about going to an automatic (although from what I understand, it will be easier on my rearend, which is important for me)

So let me cut to the chase: Guys with automatics who aren't dedicated track cars, are you happy with your choice? Does it feel like you've kind of ruined the "sports car" feel with an auto?

Thanks for your input.

They are asking 1,500 for used transmissions.

If you pull it yourself from lkq its about $200 (They have half off days once a month as well). I've done it many times at both the Houston LKQ upull locations. If your buying prepulled, preidentified, and packaged from LKQ of course its going to be expensive. If you go out and pull yourself its dirt cheap. For example, I've bought a MSA Airdam there on a 1/2 days for $10. Maybe the DFW area yard is different. There website doesn't reflect the upull yards at all here in Houston. Happy Hunting.

Edited by tecreatta

If you pull it yourself from lkq its about $200 (They have half off days once a month as well). I've done it many times at both the Houston LKQ upull locations. If your buying prepulled, preidentified, and packaged from LKQ of course its going to be expensive. If you go out and pull yourself its dirt cheap.

Ah didn't realize thats how it worked. Ill look more into this.

• 2 weeks later...