HybridZ

What tranny is this???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HELP!! I bought a 5 speed tranny from a guy who got it along with a 4 speed 240Z. He sold his Z but never put the 5 speed in it. Anyway, it looks like an early 70's tranny. Unlike other 4 and 5 speed trannys, there is no webbing in the casting on any part of the tranny. Its smooth all over. I know its a datsun because of the datsun mark near the shift linkage. The bolt pattern is also the same as other 4/5 speeds. Here is the wierd part: reverse is left then up, where 1st gear should be. What the hell tranny is this? Could this be an early 70s datsun truck tranny?

sounds like the 200sx dogleg trans, also called the european trans. has reverse like a muncie right?

is first gear like shifting into second? this trans will bolt right up to l6 and should hold up.

but i could be wrong, im not up on my datsun trucks.

Guest Anonymous

You may have a rare and very early 5 speed (type A) transmission installed in the Datsun (2000) Fairlady Roadster.The rear half of this tranny had no webbing and very little webbing in the bell housing area.This transmission had a shift pattern like you desribe. The type A in both 4 and 5 speed transmissions had what is aptly called a "monkey motion shifter linkage" at the rear top side of the transmission shaft which placed the shift lever high above the transmission body while all the newer type B, 4 and 5 speed transmissions simply had the shifting rod inserting into an uncomplicated receptacle at the rear top side of the transmission shaft. This is about the only way I can describe the "original" and first 5 speed . If it is the the 2000 roadster tranny , it maybe worth a lot to a roadster restoration project because it is so rare!!!!

Guest Anonymous

it sounds like a 200sx dogleg tranny .one easy way to find out is if the shift lever goes in with a pin and "C" clip like the z car 5 speeds then it is a 200 sx tranny if it has a shift linkage like an original 240z tranny then it is a roadster tranny.the 200sx tranny is also 63cm from end to end.i have froze 3 200sx trannys up in various gears and i consider them to be a real POS tranny.