HybridZ

best chassis for handling?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

If I want to put the engine from my 81 turbo in another car, which car should I choose? I want a car that will offer the best mix of hiway calmness and road track handling. I understand the 280z's are pretty good in that respect. however the lightweight of the 240 appeals. one more thing- when I put my engine into a car with a manual tranny (the engine is currently paired with an auto) do I have to change anything to accomodate the input shaft?

thanks

Guest Anonymous

I just did that same swap and you will need a pilot bushing because they didnt use one on the auto trans. i put a 78 5speed on an 81zxt motor and dropped it into a 71 240.I got a pilot bushing for a 78 trans it didnt fit into the hole in the crank so I had to turn it down on a lathe and then tapped it in place.I should have gone with a bushing for the 81 motor but then again I dont know if the ID is the same as the tranny.Also theres a 1/8" plate thats between the torque converter and the crankshaft that needs to be taken out when you install the manual trans. Its like a shim with the same bolt pattern as the converter or flywheel. By the way, spring for an aluminum flywheel it'll help with lag/spool-up.