HybridZ

L20 turbo engine pieces

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I have the chance to buy some bits and pieces from an L28 that has had a turbo (a Garret T3) from a Skyline (I think an R31 L20 based Skyline) put on it.

Its a complete engine but I was only going to get the exhaust manifold, plumbing (its rubber tubing), air filter and water & oil pipes.

Are there any other bits I should try and get? Keep in mind the engine has stock non turbo internals but I'm not sure about injectors (is there a way to tell? They might be L20 turbo injectors). The AFM is apparently an L20 (turbo?)AFM, would this be any different to a stock L28 one?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer, I'd really like to turbo my Z but a turbo engine would be too difficult to find (I live in New Zealand).

I may be able to post some not so large pictures of the bits if somebody wants to try and identify them.

Howdy,

I looked at doing this about 7 years ago to a zx I had at the time. I think i worked out that you could rum 11 psi with a intercoller and the standard internals. The pistons might not like this in the long run though. Pick up ebery thing you can. i would even try to get the fuel pressure regulater as well. It wont be a complete bolt on, but is close enough to not be to difficult. The throttle bodys are different. Where are you going to put the oil return line from the turbo?

Go for it. Its a cheep way to go turbo.

Douglas

I would suggest swapping the entire engine. The turbo has a lower compression to allow more boost, and also thicker piston rings. It is not usually recomended to put forced inductionon a higher compression engine. You'll end up not being able to put much pressure into the engine.

Plus, that would be the most simple way to do it. The turbo has larger injectors, and the head has larger exhaust ports. It is made to be a turbo, so why not use it?

The engine he is talking about is a 2.0 straight 6 from a jap spec nissian laurel or something similar. Its not worth swaping it for the 2.8 imho, but using the turbo of it should get you performance a little better then the stock 2.8 turbo. Which would be worth it imho. :D

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

The engine is actually an L28, its a stock 280Z engine with the turbo bolted on to it. The guy I'm getting the bits off doesn't live in my city so I can't go look at the engine but from his description and what he knows about it its not a stock turbo engine.

But I'm getting all the bits I need - turbo (T3 in need of rebuild), air filter, AFM, oil pipes, all plumbing and manifold for $200NZ (about $80 - $90US) now all I need to do it find a manual coupe to put it on.