HybridZ

wiper motor relay

Hi all-

I need a litttle help on this...

I have a early 74 260z with a GTO body and an LT1 engine that I built in 1986. My wipers stopped working 24+ years ago. I finally decided I would try to fix it... The fuse keeps popping on it. If I put in a new fuse, I can hear a relay popping on and off until the fuse blew. I pulled the wiper  motor out to see what was what... The clicking is a small relay attached to the wiper motor. I direct wired the motor (bypassing the relay)by using my power probe to apply power to different wires. I can get it to run on the high speed and low speed circuit with no problem so I know the motor is good. After lubricating all the hinge points i plugged it back in to it's normal wire harness location and installed a new fuse. The relay started up again (without putting power to the wiper switch) and popped the fuse in a about a minute.

Does this sound familiar to anyone or ring a bell as to what is going on.

Versanissan in Sonoma, Ca.

The behavior you're talking about with the relay clicking does seem to sound like a wire is arcing to the frame. If that's the case, each arc shuts off the relay and shuts off the wipers, then once it arcs enough, or contacts enough, the current spikes and pops your fuse. So tracing your wires looking for anything frayed or broken insulation probably should be your first step.

I would expect it's in the wiring leading to the relay or in the relay itself.  For the money and ease of repair, you could just get either a NOS wiper motor assy (if you can find it) or a used 260/280Z wiper motor assy.  It shouldn't be too difficult.  If you're still not sure about it, then you could replace it with the Honda Accord wiper motor swap that's detailed on here.  If you're still blowing fuses after that, then your problem isn't the motor/relay it's in the switch/wiring, and that's a bit more trouble to fix.   You can test the switch by replacing the fuse and just jumping the wires leading to the switch. if it still pops then it's not the switch.  You can narrow it down this way.  The FSM will help you figure the wires. 

Let us know what you figure out.

Phar