HybridZ

noob questions

alexx933

These may sound like noob questions but I've looked and can't seem to find correct answers.

Currently, I'm running an 81 l28et engine in my 77 280. I have not yet installed MS!! I'm using the stock dizzy without the CAS. I have an HEI module to fire the coil from the ECCS due to the lack of an ignitor. Is there a way for me to fire the coil independent of any EMS? I need to convert to MS ASAP so this would smooth the transition.

In purchasing my MS kit, I ordered a direct coil ignition module. Should I just install that and only adjust advancement by turning the dizzy?

The simplest route would be the most effective for me. Sorry these are such noob questions! And thanks in advance for any assitance!

I'm using the stock dizzy without the CAS.

If you're using the stock 81 ECCS equipment, you have a CAS (crank angle sensor) reading a toothed wheel on the engine's pulley. As far as MS is concerned, it's a hall/optical pickup, exactly like the 82-83 optical distributor.

Is there a way for me to fire the coil independent of any EMS?

So let's say you installed a 280zx distributor with built in ignitor. It has everything required to fire the coil (VR pickup, ignitor, etc) on its own. The problem now is that you wouldn't be able to retard the timing under boost. Then in order for the engine to run, you would need to keep using the 81 CAS in order to feed the ECCS an RPM signal. This all might work in theory, but it would be really bodged.

In purchasing my MS kit, I ordered a direct coil ignition module. Should I just install that and only adjust advancement by turning the dizzy?

If you're going to the trouble of installing MS, not controlling the spark when you have all the available tools to do so is just silly. Spark is like one of the simplest things to set and control with MS. As I've alluded to above, running a turbo motor with no spark control would require a lot more work than not. If your kit already has the ignitor installed, then it's literally as difficult as running a wire from the ECU to the coil. If you're building the unit yourself, it's only two more things to solder and a few jumpers.

I would recommend for you to use the MS supplied ignitor, but you could keep your HEI module and use that if you really wanted.

Most people struggle with getting an RPM signal and you need that in order for MS to run, spark or not. Using MS to control spark is the simpler route, in my opinion.

Metro, If the 81 CAS is the same as the 83 CAS, then i need to build the board for the hall/optical? I just don't want to build for the wrong setup and have it be wrong. I plan on using the 83 dizzy. 

The '81 CAS should work and it is wired up like the optical distributor. There's just one catch, I couldn't get mine to work very well. MS could idle and run up to about 4000rpm and then it would lose the RPM signal. I might have had a bad sensor or some other interference with the signal. Either way, I gave up trying to fix it and went with a locked '76 VR distributor and ran that setup for years.

If you have the 83 optical distributor, just use that. It's guaranteed to work (provided it's in good shape).

Edited by Metro

I think the vr distributors are a little more reliable. My optical dizzy crapped out. I switched to the vr. The one thing I do like about the turbo dizzy is it has a screw that keeps the rotor tight. The vr dizzy, the rotor wiggles a little but it is also smaller so it frees up a little room.

I don't currently have an 83 optical distributor, but that will be changed here shortly. I don't feel like filing off most of the teeth on my pulley and fabricating a bracket to hold a hall effect sensor. Not when there is a bolt in solution that will look much cleaner. I really appreciate the input guys! 

I don't currently have an 83 optical distributor, but that will be changed here shortly. I don't feel like filing off most of the teeth on my pulley and fabricating a bracket to hold a hall effect sensor. Not when there is a bolt in solution that will look much cleaner. I really appreciate the input guys! 

If you still have the VR distributor from your 77, you could use it instead and you wouldn't need to change the oil pump quill shaft for an optical distributor. The only thing to consider is the VR distributor will mount 180º out and your plug wires might not reach.

If you still have the VR distributor from your 77, you could use it instead and you wouldn't need to change the oil pump quill shaft for an optical distributor. The only thing to consider is the VR distributor will mount 180º out and your plug wires might not reach.

I'd have to change the shaft for the optical distributor? I might still have the 77, but I may have sold it along with the original motor and distributor shaft.

I'd have to change the shaft for the optical distributor? I might still have the 77, but I may have sold it along with the original motor and distributor shaft.

The VR and 81 turbo distributors use a slot style input on the bottom of the distributor. The later 82-83 optical distributors use a star like input. I read somewhere it was to reduce play and provide a more accurate signal for the ECCS.

Grabbed this off ebay, it's the bottom of the optical distirbutor:

post-563-0-09492900-1376068178_thumb.jpg

Seems like I will also be looking for that shaft then! Changing and aligning that shaft can be a pain in the ass too! On the plus side, it appears the star is symmetrical so there wont be a need for aligning the shaft. Just the rotor! Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...

So once again I have a very basic question: out of all the TPS sensors, which do I purchase? I have the option of a number of vehicles and various years i.e. 240sx, maxima, 300zx. Yet the TPS seems different slightly per application. I may be wrong in the idea that some TPS vary with year and transmission. But even so, the confusion has delayed purchase and continuation of my conversion. Which TPS should I be using? 

Oh! I did end up purchasing a new optical distributor and shaft.

I figured there would be less backlash for this question by using this thread as opposed to starting a new one. 

Thanks once again!

You need a potentiometer style tps. I used a 240sx TB and TPS. It will be three wires: power, ground, and the signal to MS.

The sensor I happen to have looks just like the throttle switch on the stock TB, but it has a pigtail hanging off the bottom. You'll want to use the pigtail and not the three wire bosch connector. I think it's an on/off switch like the L28et's TB, either way it won't work for MS.

I need a sensor and not a switch then. I don't plan on switching the TB at the moment as money is kind of tight. I plan on making small adapter plates to hold the newer sensor onto the stock TB. 

How do I tell that the TPS is the sensor type instead of the switch type? Or are the 240sx TPS both sensors and switch and that's why they have the Bosch style connector as well as the pigtail? 

I'm probably over complicating this.