HybridZ

Turbo Swap Qs

Guest alfred182

Guest alfred182

<< disclaimer: I've used the search option, so please don't flame me if I'm redundant. I just want to have all the information organized ^_^ >>

Ok. I'm gonna get a turbo engine next weekend and drop it in my N/A '83 280ZX. Simple, right? Well, I'm new at working on cars, and I don't wanna miss anything.

I know that I will need the wiring harness, ECU and fuel pump from the donor. Is there anything else that I will need? injectors? exhaust?

Anything in particular that I should definitely do/stay away from?

Also, if anybody could help me do the swap, I would greatly apreciate it. I have about a month to finish since my girlfriend will come back from Japan then, and the temp license plates will expire...

I'm not rich or anything, but I can pay to whoever can help me in the Phoenix area.

Also, I've seen some intercooled Zs. Which car could I get an intercooler from? Are they hard to install??

I've heard Starions have good intercoolers. Any details??

Btw, is there an FAQ somewhere about how to do these tings?? Can't seem to find one...

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I've never done it before but since no one else has answered I thought I'd try and help.

You pretty much need the entire engine, AFM, ECU (I've heard you can use the non turbo ECU aswell to make things easier?), injectors etc, exhaust unless you are planning on having one made, don't know about fuel pump - grab it anyway.

Intercoolers you can pretty much get off any turbo car, some are better than others you pretty much get what you pay for - Starion ones are rated pretty good amongst stock turbo car intercoolers, try and find a late model one (85+ I think) as they are 14 instead of 12 row or something like that - sorry I'm not too clued up.

Intercoolers aren't that hard to install, the piping is though, have to cut some holes and make up some pipes, using metal pipes is best rather that rubber tubing.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find out what you need, if there is nothing in the search feature here try looking at www.zcar.com this question comes up a few times a week.

Well, again, there's always more than one way to skin a cat...but...

In your case, you'll need to start off by buying the service manual for your year of car. That'll help you determine what is different and what needs to be modified.

Make sure it has the electrical schematics in the manual you buy...