HybridZ

Wiring up a Honda wiper motor - with a twist

ktm

I am wiring up a 1995 Honda Accord wiper motor and am thinking about using a 3-position switch instead of the combo switch. I have a quick question regarding wiring up the relay to use the park feature.  I believe I should I be able to follow the attached wiring diagram without using the delay box.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Bo

post-1734-0-85539500-1377582566_thumb.jpg

Edited by ktm

If you simply want to use that diagram, but do not want to use the delay box, then the wires labeled N/C and COM (G and W) need to be connected and the wire labeled N/O should be left disconnected .

Like this. Just pretend the delay unit was never added to the diagram. All the scissor and "just tap" stuff was added to it to include the delay box, so put it back the way it was before.

post-2004-0-90729700-1377621210_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the confirmation.  I planned on ignoring the the delay box and all associated wiring (N/O, N/C, COM) but was not 100% certain.  I have not studied how the relay helps with the park feature as I normally use relays for load re-distribution.

Cheers,

Bo

I am wiring up a 1995 Honda Accord wiper motor and am thinking about using a 3-position switch instead of the combo switch. I have a quick question regarding wiring up the relay to use the park feature.  I believe I should I be able to follow the attached wiring diagram without using the delay box.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Bo

I used a 1994 Honda Accord wiper motor.  Took it apart to find out EXACTLY how it works. Found all that it took was to add one 3 amp diode to the wiring and it works fine with a painless wiring rotary wiper switch.  Before disassembly, the wiper mechanism took considerable effort to move the wipers.  Found that after disassembling the wiper arms etc., that the wiper pivot shafts were rusted.  Cleaned up the rust and lubed the pivot shafts.  Reassembled and found it took a lot less effort to move the wipers.  Therefore, clean up and lube the pivot shafts FIRST.  Than go after the wiper motor.

I used a 1994 Honda Accord wiper motor.  Took it apart to find out EXACTLY how it works. Found all that it took was to add one 3 amp diode to the wiring and it works fine with a painless wiring rotary wiper switch.  Before disassembly, the wiper mechanism took considerable effort to move the wipers.  Found that after disassembling the wiper arms etc., that the wiper pivot shafts were rusted.  Cleaned up the rust and lubed the pivot shafts.  Reassembled and found it took a lot less effort to move the wipers.  Therefore, clean up and lube the pivot shafts FIRST.  Than go after the wiper motor.

rsicard, you could not have spoken more truth.  My wiper linkage is already completely disassembled and they were, much like yours, completely rusted.  So much so, in fact, that I broke one of the retainers that the spindles pass through (I found replacements though).  I agree 100000000% that most likely many of the problems people run into are due to rusted or poorly lubricated pivot shafts.

My wiper motor looks damn near new and operates flawlessly.  I struggled (am still am) with using the 1995 Accord motor, but ultimately the fact that the Accord motor is 23 years newer, easier to source, and appears more powerful is the reason I decided to move ahead with using it.

• 1 month later...

I found myself in a huge down pour last night. Ive never thought twice about an upgraded wiper motor till then. I could not see past my hood! I actually had to pull over and let the storm die down. It was crazy,  the wipers were moving so slow that I could not see parked cars on the side of the road!! Needless to say, Ill be sourcing a newer motor ASAP!! thanks for the info on the swap.