HybridZ

I'm an Idiot , things to look out for !!!

Guest SpudZ

Guest SpudZ

Hey Guys,

Well my car has been running really really bad for awhile now. I even missed

the first three autocrosses this year , because I just couldn't get it running right.

Lets go back to last Summer . I blew a headgasket on the way to an autocross,

so when I pulled the head off I decided to put in another engine. I really lucked

out and found a rebuilt L28 that was in a restored ZX before the guy was T boned,

and it was totalled. It was barely broke in, and friends of the PO followed the car to

Pull N Save and pulled it out as soon as it hit the yard. Well after a few minutes of

talking with the guy who had it , I was loading a $250 rebuilt L28.

At the same time Some guy sent me an extra Supertrapp he had. Actually I offered

to buy it for $85 . Well time went on and I didn't here from him. Then one day I get

an email and he said he forgot all about it and it was still in the shipping box in

his trunk. About a week later it shows up at my door with no payment instructions.

When I emailed the guy, he just said Enjoy. Racers are cool people smile.gif He used those

foam beer cozzies for packing. I made alot of friends handing those out.

I get to the installation time, and while I am working on it we have a baby due.

I drop the motor in and fire it up and she runs fine. A quick adjustment on the carbs

and a check for any leaks. I am ready for the muffler, but then can't find a muffler shop

in town so Off I drive 30 miles with open exhuast to Spokane. Thats the nearest muffler

shop that can build me a new exhuast. I have them run 2 1/2 " back to the Supertrapp

with one bend by the tank. THe muffler comes out in an angle. Since I have never owned

a Supertrapp I didn't check for the fiberglass packing. When we got her done I drove it

around and it had more pull then the L24 ,so I never thought anything else about it.

On the way home from the muffler shop I get the call to get to the hospital the baby is on

its way. After an ordeal at the hospital and a new baby boy. I finished running the last two

events of the year.

Well the car never seemed to live up to my expectations and the performance slowly

started to slip away. This Spring It really started running bad , so I started changing

everything I could think of. I asked for help from just about everybody.

Today I was thinking that I really never checked the packing in the Supertrapp . It might

be clogged or something. After I take the tip off I notice there was no packing, and all

12 plates were bolted to each other. I couldn't believe it the exhaust had no place to

go. Talk about back pressure :-)

Well tomorrow I will fire it up without the plates in it. A little to loud to do it tonight.

I just can't believe I missed the fact the packing was missing :(

Guest SpudZ

Okay, Now I am really an idiot the packing is in the center core and not

in the diffuser discs. I just looked at the Summit catalog, and the packing

is in the core not the diffusers. I guess will see tomorrow if it helps any :bonk

Now I am really bummed :(bonk.gif

Guest SpudZ

John,

I took them off last night and the car is running as we speak.

It is running much better . I am going to put some new plugs

in it and start all over with tuning procedure.

I still don't know how any exhuast made it through the plates,

and I had the 12 diffuser pack on it.

Thanks,

Mike