HybridZ

82' max

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

All right im the new guy with a ?. I have a 82 max and I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could do a v8 convertion on my car. I have seen it done. p.s could use a 280z convertion kit sense the 1st gen max is basicly (spelling) a 4 door 280z

Guest bang847

hmm i dissagree with the maxima being a 4 door "Z"

but yeah man do it!!!! 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif

So where are you at? i ask because i guess smog laws arent in your favor... weird.gif

I think everythhing should be like a Z swap in except for the drive shaft... but then again that is custom stuff anyways..

Also, welcome to the forum!!!

Guest Anonymous

V8 in an early Maxima ????Get the JTR Manual and eyeball it to the Maxima engine compartment and determine what differences there are.

You're '82 Maxima isn't a 4-door Zcar chassis; it's a ZX. You have one major difference in that your L6 oilpan is front sump whereas the Z & ZX L6s are rear sump. This could make for interesting swap possibilities including some 4 and 6cyl turbo engines. My favorite Maxima hybrid is to take a Diesel Maxima (LD28), leave the shortblock as is, and modify a P90 head with its turbo and all ECI fuel and ignition components, intercool, and you're set. The LD28 pan even has a sump oil drain from the diesel engine's alternator-driven vacuum pump that can be now used for the turbo oil drain. Front & rear sway bars from '82-'83 280ZXT bolt-on directly. Makes a great grocery getter (especially if you're in a hurry). DAW

By the way, there is no modification necessary to the hood re clearance with the LD28 block/L28ET top-end set up, it fits fine even though the LD28 block height is 19.6mm taller than the L24 block. As to the internals of the LD28: 140mm rods, beefy pistons with floating 23mm pins. I was concerned re the generous compression ht of the pistons (46.5mm) for performance use but they seem to work fine. BMW 3.0L inline 6's have 42mm and the stock L24/26/28's have 38.1. DAW

I know I got an exhaust shop to help me with the custom exhaust I made. At first he said "no can do, pal, you've removed the catalytic convertor". I told him that Diesel Maximas didn't have caytalytic convertors! He fabricated the little piece I needed and welded it in. As I left I think he was mumbling something like "...why would someone put headers on a diesel engine"? DAW