HybridZ

Setting the engine back a further 3/4"?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Omar,

Both Accel and Mallory build small diameter distributors. The Mallory Unilite is a stand alone system which does not require an external amp to make it work. The Accel uses a magnetic pickup which will require an amp.

Either one will require a new coil. On several low budget swaps, I have used the OEM 280Z coil with the Unilite. The output is accurate and edequate, with a typically low misfire rate. Total centrigual advance adjustment can be performed without removing the distributor from the engine.

If you intend to street drive this unit, I would recommend buying the optional vacuum advance equipped model(@$10.00 more)This advance is also externally adjustable and should be limited to somewhere between 3 to 5 distributer degrees (6 to 10 crankshaft).

Under light cruise loads a vacuum advance can add extra MPG plus keep the carbon buildup in the cylinder area to a minimum.

Your other option is to procure a cranktrigger unit. These are slick and incredibly accurate. They do require external amps but the use of a crank trigger allows the use of the extremely low profile/diameter distributor which contains no electronics, just the cap and rotor. Typically these distributors come equipped with a "crab" style flat cap. Hooking up plug wires is a snap, and some like the look of the horizontal exiting of the wires from the cap.

The only drawback that I have found in using a small diameter cap is the reduced "flashover resistance" caused by the fact that the plug wire terminals are by definition closer together. Combining a small cap with an ultrahigh output amplifier/coil setup could result in the secondary ignition fire never reaching the plug under full throttle loading of the engine. The fire simply shorts to the next nearest cap/wire terminal.

Most of these small caps will consistently hold 40,000 volts before flashing over. Most engines only require 10,000 to 20,000 volts at idle and cruise, but will ask for all they can get under load.

The higher the compression, the more ignition output one needs to light the plug and keep it lit long enough to combust all the fuel which enters the cylinder.

I prefer one long high millijoule spark, versus multiple smaller ones. This would be all other manufacturers except MSD. There is nothing wrong with MSD, just my personal preference.

If you choose to use a Mallory Unilite, be sure to install enough primary resistance to keep the total full alternator output voltage from exceeding 9 volts. Continued operation of the Unilite with a greater amount than this will damage and shorten the life of the module.

If you are unsure of what outputs may be seen or produced by your alternator, then the magnetic pickup is for you. They operate at much higher voltages without damage to them, simply because their threshold voltage is protected by the amplifier to begin with.

High voltage spikes from any source will damage or destroy either of these two systems regardless. Routing of low voltage signal wires should be carefully installed and insulated from the coil or spark plug wires. Here is where good spark plug wire looms really pay for themselves.

Lastly, hard launches with even low output V8's can more the motor backward a half inch or better! Caps are brittle, be careful.