HybridZ

my 240

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi I have a 72 240 with a 78 280 motor. it has been bored 50 over balenced and has a mild cam

it also has a Bob Sharp raceing manifold with a carter 600 afb on it. I was thinking it would be faster I raced a 98 ford picup and barly stayed with him. and this was no Lightning. What can I do?

Guest Anonymous

Welcome fellow Oregonian. Put a V8 in it.(mopar) and re-post in the morning by a reply to your self. It is late in the evening for replies

A 600cfm carb is more than you need/want. 4-bbl manifold is widely criticized for poor flow path, you can get a LOT out of twin SU carbs (ask Norm, in the 12s with N/A 2.9 liter). What's your compression ratio? You should go at least 10:1. This will require flat-top pistons, so if it's a ZX 2.8 N/A, you're in business there, you just need to get the right cylinder head. An N42 (280Z) head on an F54 (280ZX) flat-top piston block will get you to 9.8:1. N42 exhaust manifold is pretty good, too, but you could get a few more ponies with a header (Nismo 1 5/8" probably best bet). Dynomax super turbo muffler on a 2 1/2" exhaust and you're in business, exhaust-wise. Intake should be low restriction (ITG, K&N, etc), with air horns. Again, I believe side-draft carburetion (or FI) is your best bet here.

Have fun!

Guest Anonymous

How FA$T you want to go? And how much green lines your wallet? A IMHO cost effective swap is the 280zx Turbo into the car, no mounts to be made, the wiring isnt that hard for the computer and with a simple addition like a intercooler and a bit more boost you can get into the high 12's low 13's no problem (if you can hook it up.).

If you have more money and WANT a v8 (which well is something that I wanted, otherwise I probably could have been happy with the turbo motor) then its certainly a alternative and makes a pretty stunningly quick street car. Both are decent options at the moderate HP level, if you want more, you pay more going either route. Just an opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Dan wouldn't an early E88 head be better than the N42? I know the How to hotrod your Datsun book states the N42 head is better but I had much more success with my E88 head than the N 42, and there was no porting done to either head.

If by "early E88" you mean the '71 E88, it might be better. In a letters reply by DL Potter in an old ZCarMag, he identified this head as the best-flowing stock head. It had the peanut-shaped combustion chamber like the E31. '72 E88 has a combustion chamber similar to the N42, but with smaller valves. '73 and '74 E88 heads had lower compression and are generally avoided.

Real answer: I don't know, I'm relying on second-hand info. I would assume the N42 is a good choice, there may be better ones.

What did your E88 combustion chambers look like, and what exactly is "much more success"? Had either head been shaved at all?

Guest Anonymous

The head was the 71 unit,as it came of of my 71 240and had the peanut shaped chambers. I bought a ZX short block with flattops and an N42 head and drove it for a year. The car would run 15.7's in the 1/4 with the ZX 5spd. A friend of mine from IZCC in Clearwater, FL told me to use the head from my 240 as it was supposed to flow better. However I had heard nothing good about the E88 so I put an E31 on it and made up lots of new cuss words every time I went to the gas pump. I eventually put the E88 on it and my 1/4 mile times went down to 15.4s. Neither head had any type of shaving to the best of my knowledge, although the E88 had been cleaned up about .010 when I pulled it off of my 240 engine. It just seemed that this combo pulled a whole lot better low end than the N42 set up.