HybridZ

how hard would it be to fix a stuck ring?

Guest 2002sentraSER

Guest 2002sentraSER

i am looking to get a 260z with a 280z dual webber carbed engine in the bay and it has a stuck ring and is burning oil how hard is this to fix? also it has some rust in the fram rails is there a resonable chasis rebuilt kit to fix this problem?

I'm not sure how the owner knows it is a stuck ring, more than likely a broken ring or worse. Regardless, if it is a problem with a ring then a tear down is in your future. An old trick for cleaning out combustion chambers is to pour a little automatic transmission fluid down the carbs while your the motor is being held at 2000 to 3000 RPM. Just don't let it stall and the smoke screen you'll create is quite impressive. I assume since it has dual webbers they are the downdraft style making this much easier. This probably will accomplish nothing, but it is worth a try.

If the frame rails are rusty you can buy replacements from Zedd Findings . This is a big job and if you're not a profecient welder then you might want to pay a professional. If the rails are rusty look over the rest of the car and you will find more rust. The floor pans generally are gone too.

My suggestion would be to keep looking. I jumped on one of the first Z's I found and ended up abandoning that car because of rust. I found a rust free 260 and still found a few small spots when I tore it down. Good luck in your search.