HybridZ

300zx twin turbo blown engine what to do.

wickiewicked240z

My little Brother has a 1991 300zx twin turbo. Previous owner had mess with engine when my brother bought it, it was running good after awhile one of the injectors where acting up(previous owner installed rebuilt 740 injectors). Took it to a shop who specializes on Z cars guys fixes problems with car, new OEM injectors n tuned chip from z specialties,oil pan and other hoses. He has car running good and he calls us your turbos are shot the seals are starting to go out. So my brother decides to have him install z1 gt600 turbo kit $2300+ ain't cheap. We get car back car is running great then around 2 months later. My brother is driving car on freeway gets of off ramp and notices smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes. He gets car towed back home we start car idles fine doesn't overheat but still smokes but as u rev the engine u can hear knocking on engine. Now we don't know what to do rebuilt engine or buy a JDM engine and install new timing belt, water pump,oil pump. Now the shop we been taking the car wants to charge us $3500 for the rebuild does not include pistons, or crankshaft if it got mess up. If we take out the engine our selfs (uncle a mechanic) and rebuild somewhere else. He won't guarantee the 1 yr warranty on the turbos he installed. If we go JDM engine I can get one at a local shop for $1000 went to go look at one today engine looked clean I talked to a guy(moderator) on zilvia.net who has bought a couple of clips and engines from him and he said his engines are pretty good.

What route should we go. Rebuild with shop and keep warranty on turbos, rebuild ourshelfs, JDM engine and change basic maintance parts.

Then I would go with a good rebuild because with a used motor , you are rolling the dice . Since he already bought a few new major parts then a rebuild would be the way to go . But you need to find out why the smoke . Bad turbos will smoke . Also ID the knocking noise .

Mine had a knock awhile back . Number 5 rod bearing was the cause and the motor had only 46k miles , came from an J30 . It has over 150k now .

I would rebuild, used engines are a crapshoot. Several years ago when I bought my Z32, I wanted the twin turbo. All the TT ones I looked at were ragged out needing work. I finally settled on a nice 93 NA. It has been mechanically perfect except for the normal wiring connector and fuel injector problems.

chris