HybridZ

Randomly dying

kerristallax

I have an S1 Rb25det in my 280z, completed the swap in May and have put 2000 pretty much trouble-free miles on it since.  Stock ecu, stock motor except for a Freddy intake, stock boost.  I have the Wiring Specialties new harness with their new subharnesses for the injectors and coil packs. I have it running the stock tach and gauges except for a boost/vac gauge.

Lately, sometimes going down the road - even not under load, just cruising - it just dies.  If going down the road and left in gear, it will buck as it comes on and then dies again, and then eventually it usually stops this behavior and drives normal again.  When it has done this and returned to "normal," after I park it and leave it idling, sometimes it will die while idling.  It always seems to do this when it's been driving for a while and is at full operating temperature, and usually when it is at less than 1/3 of a tank of gas.  

My first suspect was the Walbro fuel pump running the stock tank / stock pickup in the tank.  I thought this might be losing pressure as some people seem to report Walbros do - if you get a knockoff or bad one.  Or just the stock marginally-baffled tank running the pickup dry.  Today on the way home, it started doing this again going down the road with ~1/2 tank gas left, and then when I got it home I left it idle and watched the fuel pressure gauge.  It did die, but the fuel pressure never dropped below 36psi on my permanently installed gauge.  So at idle, no fuel slosh issues and no loss in fuel pressure, I have to rule out the fuel pump as the cause of the problem.  

If it dies idling, it will usually start right back up and run fine.  Today, it died again and took a second try before it would stay idling.  After that, it went back to idling nicely at 700 rpms (where I set the idle via the idle adjustment procedure).  When it dies going down the road in gear, the tach doesn't drop off, it continues to read accurately.  The tach is driven off the ECU tach output with a "pull up" light bulb to the stock 280z tach, as described by another hybridz member, which seems to work just fine.

Ideas on what might cause this?  I don't have a consult adapter to hook up, but I could get one off ebay if needed.  

If it was a component on the motor, what would be the likely culprits?  CAS or igniter, possibly?  Both of those are the original stock pieces that came on my motorset.