HybridZ

280z taillights in a 240z

mr_han_solo

Hello,

I am trying to put the 280z taillights from my donor car into my 240z. Unfortunately when I bought the 240 it didn't have any of the taillight bulbs or  male connectors. All it had was the  wiring harness to the lights and the female connector ends.

I cut the harness out of the 75 280z (the main harness with the female connectors) to put in my 240; Upon inspection I am finding one problem. The 240z taillights have the following wires. Red/Black, Black, Green/White, Green/Red. The 280z is different. It has Red/Black, Black, Green/White, Green/Red, and Black/Yellow.

Now I have traced this Black/Yellow in the 1975 wiring diagram and I see that it goes to the stop switch. Apparently, the 240z doesn't have this switch. My question is that if I wire everything up to the 240 and leave the Black/Yellow wire unconnected (since I don't have anything to splice it to) will the taillights still work?

Thanks,

Han

From what I can find, the 240z used the same wire/lights for both turn signal and brake lights.  The 280z separates the two and uses the Black/Yellow wire for the brake lights.  

I think the 280z brake lights wouldn't work and your turn signals would operate as both turn signals and brake lights.