HybridZ

5 lug front drag wheels

Im sorry if this is been given before, but my search came up empty. The only thing left orig. in this back halved 260z is the front rotors and brakes literaly. I want weld Alumastars up front to match the 15x15 out back. They don't make them in 4 lug, Ive found them in 5 by 4 3/4. I was going to start by looking at adapters, what is the factory 4 lug bolt pattern guys? It measures right at 4.5 inches on center.

Next thing and better would be a direct bolt on 5 lug rotor hub so I can use the same brakes and everything that I have that's fresh now and works very well. All the rear stuff is Strange disk and a big bore Strange master cylinder.

Im sure their are expensive aftermarket rotors and upgraded brakes etc... but with what a new set of AlumaStars and drag tires cost I will be tapped out for a bit on upgrades.

Simpley whats my cheapest and best way to get these 5 lug 4 3/4 wheels on this 74 260z, and Thanks a ton in advance!!!

Ryan T.

Stock Datsun S30 bolt pattern is 4X4.5" or 4X114.3mm.  I just got some 1.25" thick adapters from 4X4.5 to 4X4.25, which is the same as 4-lug Mustang-google search for wheel adapter spacers and you might find something.  Arizona Z-car has some billet front 5-lug hubs that are reasonably priced-I bet they will bolt right up to your brake kit.  Check their website.  BTW-mismatched wheels look badass!  Sleeper.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Is there enough room on the hub to redrill for the 5 on 4 3/4" pattern? Has this even been done before? Thanks

Ryan

The 240 hubs are scalloped, so there is no way that would work. The 280 hubs are round, but they're actually thicker where the studs come through, and machined flat on the back side. I'm sure theres a way to do it, but safely? No. Just get yourself some Z31 front hubs if you want 5 lug.

EDIT:

This should be in the brakes, wheels, tires, suspension forum btw.

Edited by SUNNY Z

I think the simplest way would be a spacer that changes the bolt pattern.

if youre running a skinny front wheel a 1" spacer with a new bolt pattern wouldn't hurt anything.

Ive used 1.5" spacers before on my rear tires for a season and had no problems.

I currently use 1.5" spacers on my lifted jeep. I take it offroading / mudding weekly and have not had an issue.

300ZX hubs give you a 5x4.5" bolt circle.  

Search:  Camaro hubs for 5x4.75". 

Ok, I sure will search for the Camaro hubs and thanks. To go straight to the correct bolt pattern would be so nice and not have any spacers or adapters. I would find it odd that a Camaro hub would be the same bearing size, and all else dimentions to make it work. Can you tell me how you made the brakes work using Camaro hubs, Thanks very much.

Ryan

Edited by stock600

300ZX hubs give you a 5x4.5" bolt circle.  

Search:  Camaro hubs for 5x4.75". 

Nothing came up with Camaro hubs in the search bar. Could you tell me what year Camaro,what engine option or any other specifics about what hubs to go buy today. And any info on the brakes that work as well, thank you in advance.

Ryan

Edited by stock600

The second gen Camaro (and many others) used the same A2/A6 bearings as the S30. 

If you measure the  stock hub to get the distance between the outer edges of the bearings

you can then spend time on the Wilwood web site checking out their aluminum hubs to find

one with the correct bearing spacing using the A2/A6 combo.  Many are drilled in both

5x4.5 and 5x4.75

You would need to then figure out the rotor hat height and caliper bracket, but if

you've back-halved the Z already you can likely handle that part. 

It's mentioned that the 3rd gen Camaro hubs work on the 280z spindle my question is, is the 280 spindle the same as my 74 model 260z? Also I don't know the Camaros well, what year specific Camaro would I ask for the hubs and rotors for? Any certain model or engine size as well?

I would think that is would be a more common topic than it is on a Datsun forum, and like another member said have a 'sticky' on it of info and part numbers exc.... Id love to get a 5x4 3/4 hub on mine asap. Im in the middle of building a sbc 427" engine for it now but by next season really want to get matching front AlumaStars up front they don't make them in our 4 lug.

Ryan

The hubs will interchange between 240,260,280 models, ie: spindles are all the same. But you must put 280 rotors on 280 hubs and 240 rotors on 240 hubs.

Thank you that helps understand the hubs and spindles between the year models. I feel I can go to the parts store now and ask for 280 5 lug hubs and rotors and get a 5 on 4 1/2" lug pattern on the car then have to get that from 4 1/2 to 4 3/4". Next question though is on what caliper, can I keep using the factory 74 260 stuff that's on the car and working great now? It all been replaced with OEM parts in the past few years and stops really nice as is. If the 280 hubs and rotors are the same diamention then this wont be a big deal and could poss. try and buy the parts as soon as tomorrow after work. Thanks again for the help

Ryan

I'm afraid you may be confusing apples and oranges.  The 260z has some 240z parts on it and some 280z parts on it, depending on what the production date is within the year of 1974.  If the flange on the hub where the wheel mounting studs press in is scalloped, sort of like a cross, then you have 240z hubs.  If that flange is round with no scallops removed, then you have 280z hubs.  So, you need to pull a wheel and figure that out.  There is no factory replacement 240 or 280z hub available that has 5 lugs.  To get 5 lugs, you have to mount an aftermarket hub, like the one that Arizona Z Car sells.  If you get that hub, you can run the stock brake rotor and caliper.  However, if you decide to put a Z31 rotor on a 280z hub (assuming that SunnyZ is correct-which he usually is), you still only have a 4-lug hub!  AND, your stock caliper will not work with the Z31 rotor.  I still think the easiest, cheapest, and most straight forward way for you to accomplish your goal is with an Arizona Z Car 5-lug hub.  You need to specify to Dave at AZC, which hub and rotor you intend to use (240z vs 280z).  Then you can continue to use your stock brakes without any issues.  I hope I'm helping you....  In the time you have been torturing yourself over this you could have opened a lemonade stand and made enough money to buy the parts that you really need and you'd be running down the road right now.

I'm afraid you may be confusing apples and oranges.  The 260z has some 240z parts on it and some 280z parts on it, depending on what the production date is within the year of 1974.  If the flange on the hub where the wheel mounting studs press in is scalloped, sort of like a cross, then you have 240z hubs.  If that flange is round with no scallops removed, then you have 280z hubs.  So, you need to pull a wheel and figure that out.  There is no factory replacement 240 or 280z hub available that has 5 lugs.  To get 5 lugs, you have to mount an aftermarket hub, like the one that Arizona Z Car sells.  If you get that hub, you can run the stock brake rotor and caliper.  However, if you decide to put a Z31 rotor on a 280z hub (assuming that SunnyZ is correct-which he usually is), you still only have a 4-lug hub!  AND, your stock caliper will not work with the Z31 rotor.  I still think the easiest, cheapest, and most straight forward way for you to accomplish your goal is with an Arizona Z Car 5-lug hub.  You need to specify to Dave at AZC, which hub and rotor you intend to use (240z vs 280z).  Then you can continue to use your stock brakes without any issues.  I hope I'm helping you....  In the time you have been torturing yourself over this you could have opened a lemonade stand and made enough money to buy the parts that you really need and you'd be running down the road right now.

Lol, you are helping and I appreciate your time and help! I'm not in a huge rush by no means, its now the off season and Im building a new engine and all so the cars down for now any way. I just went out and pulled a front wheel and they are scalloped like you said so I assume now I have a 240 front hub/rotor set up from the factory. Just curious would this mean its a early or late version of the 260? It is also a 2+2 car if that makes any difference.

I thought there was a certain year model that had the 5 lug but it was a 5 on 4 1/2, no? Then Id still have to get a adapter to get me to 4 3/4. I will call the place you mentioned and see what they say, I was just hoping I could do it from the local parts store (diff. year Z car parts) so it would be cheaper. I know aftermarket stuff's going to be high, and Im spending pliantly right now on the Blown 427 SBC that Im putting together. Thanks again

Ryan

I said to hell with it and called a adapter company I found online and had a set of billet adapters made, their on the way. They go to a 5 on 4 1/2" pattern they can put on them what ever you want though, the 4 1/2 is mustang and I knew it would be the most common and easiest to find a great used pair. I then jumped on Racing Junk and found the 2.0 version one piece billet wheels that I wanted for basicly a buy one get one price, and their on the way as well. I will fiqure out this picture thing later and post some before and after shots If anyone is interested. Thanks to those that took the time to help with suggestions and tips.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Well the adapters suck ass, their Way to thick and the center doesn't fit over the hub anyway. I bought a set of Wheels their in 5 on 4 1/2". I also ordered another set of 280 style hubs and new rotors, I plan to chalk them up and re-drill my 5 lug pattern in them soon as they come in. I bought a new set of Moroso 1/2" by 3" long lugs, I hope I can make this crap work, it wont end up being very expensive if so. I looked all over and was curious to cost of the Modern Motorsports hubs but know understand there was a death in the business or family and their now closed. Does anyone know if their parts can still be bought any where else? And if they make a hub for what Im trying to do. Just get to the 5 lug pattern but retain factory rotors and calipers? Thanks

Ryan