HybridZ

Engine Rebuild Kit is it worth it?

Guest shuyun

Guest shuyun

Ok I have now located 2 l28et engines one with all mechanical one with all electrical. I plant to build one Stock intercooled motor. I plan to run between 5 and 15 lb of boost. So I will need new piston rings? This will be my first rebuild of a L28 and have found a couble of rebuild kits has any one used on and are they worth it. Or should I just all the contacts I have in the local dragracingspeedshop to find all the parts myself? I am not looking for more than 300hp on this Engine build up. Any suggestions on things to look for on the rebuild.

P.S. I have ordered How to Restor/Rebuild you L28 but I have read It has some Bat tork numbers anyone have a 81 Nissan L28 Shop manual?

All you need is rings, bearings timing kit and gaskets. If you replace the oil pump, get one from an automatic turbo. Sealed power kits are good.

I just ordered a set of non-premium rings (whatever that means, they are not chrome though) for an 82 na zx, and they were 47 bucks, rods were 26 or so. I have found hunting around on the internet is a good way to find some deals on stuff. These are sealed power. Mains usually run in the 50 dollar range.

The chrome rings do not seat well in an out of round bore, so I try to stay away from them unless you have a torque plate to hone out the engine. Might as well use the advice from the Nissan hotrodding books right?

Good luck.

I'd do a leakdown test to see if you need rebuilt. Factory engines were usually good for a couple hundred thou, and I've tested one at 365,000 that was still only 6% or better leakdowns. Chances are new rings on old pistons and bore won't make that any better, as the piston ring lands is what goes first. If you need pistons then that means you need rebored, and now you're talking real money to get machine work anything close to factory quality. My vote would be get the fuel management, boost control, and all the other subsystems working on your new project and then run it till it blows, then spend the $8k it takes to build a real longblock for a 15psi boost application. Best of luck.