HybridZ

crankshaft problem, kinda long

Guest TAlchemist

Guest TAlchemist

ok i am finally getting back to work on the engine now that i have graduated and have time and money again.

now i got in my gaskets and the block is prepped. but i seem to have some trouble with the crankshaft.

when none of the mains are torqued the crank turns very nicely and freely by hand. after they are all torqued it barely moves at all even with a wrench and my body weight.

after playing around loosening one main at a time i find that main number 2 < or first one after the front main > binds when it is torqued.

the bearings are all flush, smooth, and oiled. after forcing it to turn a few times it seems the bearings have a small shiny spot. is that where it is binding and grinding the bearing sleeve thing?

or what else could be the problem. The engine had less than 70k miles but sat for 6+ years. I would apretiate any advice i can get.

Guest TAlchemist

got them marked. in this order

f < it says f on it >

1 < i marked each one >

j < it says j on it >

rear

i think it may be the bearing. i will test by putting a different bearing with the same cap and see if it works.

Guest TAlchemist

well the parts came in and the new bearings work perfectly. i even got the pistons in and set 1st tdc now i am doing the head.

only a few hundred dollars more smile.gif

thanks for the advice and help