HybridZ

who was the guy....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

who's the guy who's runnin around with the carbed l28 with a t3/t4 turbo strapped to it (more than one probably) and how much power can you get from it? i just got a job at smith barney and am about ready to buy myself another Z to get around in, and it's already got a fresh l28 in it. in know i should research the topic for the methodology, but i want to know what kind of power i could get too and if there's a major differnce between carbed and FI. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

What kinda carb are you thinking of running?? I've done tripples and hatted it. I like the Cliffort and a 4 barrel but it a little tricky but ahh if your serious about it I've been the route let me know.

Alex Costa

boostit@pmei.net

Guest bigjim240z

ive heard of a guy running webber dvg's with a plenum bolted to them running a t3 turbo and it works great...ive never done it but he said he loves it...ive done a turbo setup running a 77-78 harness and ecu and it was nice..but ive been thinking about trying the dvg's with a turbo for simplicity and no wiring bull $hit...whatta ya think?

i'm intrested in this to

i have a 4-barrel set-up on my Z now but i'm putting a 2.8L in it and i was going to put my head an dinteak setup on the l28 but if i can find a way to make some kind of carbed turbo that would be cool.i dont care about preformance,i just want to have fun and be different

OK, you can get a bonnet that goes on top of the carb from Turbonetics, and I am sure there are a couple other places out there with them. If you have a turbo manifold, then all you need to do is plumb it and jet the carb properly.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think you have to run fuel pressure equal to your boost plus what the carb is supposed to run. So if a holley likes 5 psi, and you were running 10 psi boost, you would need 15 psi of fuel pressure under boost.

My best advice there would be to do your homework and find someone who has experience jetting carbs for turbo duty. I would think an egt or Air fuel ratio monitor would be a must here.

The carbed turbo setup is a way to go. I've tried it myself with a draw through SU with a t3. I figured I could have a slightly better performing 240z and something special without a big investment and no weires. As anyone that has done any tinkering on their car finds out, horse power is adictive. A nicely setup carbed system was going to cost me more than a junk yard EFI system, and was probably going to give me less performance and more greef.

Now adays there are EFI systems out in the junk yard that are inexpencive that would be far better for the application.

From experience, it's just hard to get a hold on the air fuel ratio and keep it consistant. Gas mileage isn't all that great, and there is a lot of maintenance.

If it's what drives you then go for it, but if you want to go with an EFI system I'll help you with with any questions you may have, and even tell you stuff you don't want to know :-)