HybridZ

How to switch to mechanical distributor?

stav2201

I recently purchased a 1975 280z with a 40mm triple weber setup using a cannon intake, I Have done some light research on which build would suit my engine best and i feel, from what i have read, that for my jets i want to run 170 air correction jets, f11 emulsion chamber, 120 main jet and 30mm chokes. It just so happens that the webers that came on the engine have 170 air correction jets, f11 emulsion chamber, and 125 on the main jets (5 off what seemed ideal), I havent checked the choke yet, but im assuming it is either 30mm or 32mm. 

My question is regarding the distributor, im supposed to eliminate the vacuum advance and weld in a bead to stop the distributor from going past 32Btdc under load. Does anyone have a link to a very descriptive write up on how to correctly do this? Or does anyone have any advice on alternatives to for distributors with carb setups? 

What size is your engine? My apologies if your signature lists it, but I'm on my phone. Off-topic, but I found main +40 for the air worked best in my application. Invest in a wideband ($150) and you have a great tool to see your A/F's real time instead of trying to read plugs!

As far as dizzy, I just plugged vacuum advance and set timing for 32 degrees all in. No problems so far. The best option would be to go to a programmable ignition like EDIS with mega jolt, Mallory unilite (apparently there have been some quality issues lately), or MSD 6al. Or better yet, be our stateside guinea pig for 123ignition! Keep us posted!

"As far as dizzy, I just plugged vacuum advance and set timing for 32 degrees all in. No problems so far. The best option would be to go to a programmable ignition like EDIS with mega jolt, Mallory unilite (apparently there have been some quality issues lately), or MSD 6al. Or better yet, be our stateside guinea pig for 123ignition! Keep us posted!"

Actually, the guy i bought it off of set it up for a mallory box, it has the mallory coil installed but he burnt out the Unit, which i have, i guess it just needs to be sent in an repaired? My engine is a 2.8 lter as well with an N42 head that is all stock.( He also threw in a wideband with the build) I would prefer to keep this build as simple as possible in hopes to speed up getting it running, then of course worry about doing aftermarket upgrades later. 

I got the engine fired up today, it seems like my timing was way off so after tweaking it for a little it started to run a little better. My brother and i were noticing a VERY aggressive knocking feel (not noise) from the block, im not sure if it is from a super rich mixture which im having right now igniting and blowing out from a half inch hole at the end of the after market headers where a O2 sensor goes. It also will not run unless the chokes are wide open which it still seems to be very rich, i guess i gotta mess around the screws a little. 

Good news everyone, it turns out that my distributor was no good and the pickup was not working correctly. Im setting the timing to 12 degrees but i think i may have to tweak with the throttle linkage, its slightly bent and its making balancing the carbs extremely difficult. I should have the car running tomorrow. I do want to share a wonderful website i found from some help on this forum, it was extremely basic and very user friendly http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?HowDoI%2FTuneWeberCarburettors