HybridZ

dyno run, NHIS results link

Dan Baldwin

Guest JAMIE T

Good showing Dan! I'm impressed with those dyno numbers too. I'm still debating on whether or not to build a 3.1L with this crank I just got, or to sell it. If I am to build it, I think I would want to use some aftermarket rods, and custom pistons. I would actually build it as a turbo motor.

On a side note though, my '94 Z28 just made 341hp and 339lbs/ft of torque on a dynojet. Not to bad for a car thats rated at 275 at the crank(in stock form). My wife drives the Z28 everyday while I drive a '71 240Z daily. She gets the HP and the AC :rolleyes:

Compared to Shane's results this might seem a little, well, inadequate! Here's the best dyno run:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2274

And here's a link to time trial results from NHIS (only a Formula Continental was faster'n me!):

http://users.rcn.com/comscc/results/nhis0902.htm

The following cars are officially slower than a N/A 6-cyl 240Z:

911 Turbo (Street Prepared A)

Corvette Z06 (Street Stock GT)

Viper GTS (Showroom Stock U)

Factory Five Cobra (Street Prepared A)

So if you encounter one on the street or track, be careful that you don't run over it.

Of note: Second-fastest door-slammer was an 80s(?) 911 with a 3.6, also street-driven.

Third-fastest door-slammer? A Shelby Omni GLH-S! Both in my class, SPB.

I've got a stock '95 Z28 M6 convertible. Just got it a few months back. It does have an Edelbrock muffler, sounds GREAT! Probably zero additional hp, though. I'd been looking for a coupe, but EVERY one I looked at was ragged. Looked at the 'vert for the hell of it, but it was tooo nice to pass up. Dark purple with chrome salad shooters. Never cared for the salad shooters, or chromed aluminum wheels, but for some reason chromed salad shooters look cool. Anyway, the 240 has a much better power/weight ratio, and feels a lot faster. 275hp moving 3500 lb. vs maybe 275(?) net flywheel hp moving 2300 lb. Or do stock LT1 Z28s make more like 275 at the wheels? 341rwhp in a 3400 lb. car must feel awesome!

Guest JAMIE T

Sweet, so somebody else here has Z's of differant flavors. Stock LT1 F-bodies usually make around 245-250hp at the wheels. 275-285 Crank hp depending on the year. My car is a M6 also. My car also still has the stock Cat-back. I have Hooker longtube headers, and I built a custom Y-pipe to meet up with the factory Cat-back. As for your Edelbrock Vs. Stock, I've heard 15hp, Dyno proven. Also, the popular "cut out" is good for 15-17hp over a FLOWMASTER cat-back. I don't have a cut-out either. I don't even have a cold air intake yet, just the stock tube with a cone filter. My HP comes from about 50hrs of head porting, A LT4 HOT cam package, above said headers, a CSI elec. H2O pump, BBK 52mm TB, Granetilli MAF, and some tuning with a MAF Translator plus. I need a clutch also, 106k on the odometer, and still have the stock clutch. It showed slippage on the dyno. If I ever get around to getting my PCM tuned, a clutch and a Cat-back(probably the Edelbrock, I just like the way it looks), I should be looking at 360-370 RWHP. That should be good for low 12's in the 1/4, and still handle well and have AC and other niceties. I've had this car for 4 years, and am finally proud of it. BTW, I just did ALL of the above mods this past summer after the OPTI went bad. It kindof started off as "well, since I need to pull this off to get to that, I may as well do this"