HybridZ

T-5 5th gear question

mr_han_solo

Well I went to put the 5th on today and ran into another problem. I have 1/2, 3/4 in neutral and the 5th gear engaged. Spins freely until it gets to one poin and I really have to force it to keep it turning. I engaged 1st then second gear and I still get resistance. Maybe this is just normal. I can still turn the input shaft by hand, it just encounters resistance in that one area and takes a little more effort to turn. Just wanting to see if this is normal or if there is something else that has popped up.

Here is the video:

Thanks once again,

Han

Edited by mr_han_solo

Mark it, and spin it say 10 times to see if the stiffness is the same spot always, and or same tooth engagement. Try and get some fame of reference to when its stiff. Ive never worked on a t5 but to me it would seem there could be a slight bend in the in a shaft causing the tolerance and backlash to change. 

I marked it and it is in one spot. I took the 5th driven gear off (the bigger of the two) and spun the little gear while it was still on the shaft. I could see it wobble with the naked eye. However, once I took it off and spun the shaft it looked perfectly straight. I also bolted up the tail-housing and put the transmission in gear to see if the output shaft had a wobble to it. It did not. This leads me to believe that the gear ma be out of round. Have you or anyone else ever heard of this happening? I know this is really against common sense, but I don't see how the shaft could be bent at the 5th gear area and be straight when it exits the tailhousing.