HybridZ

Just how long ...

Guest jwcanfield

Guest jwcanfield

How long (in man hours) should it take for a good mechanic to remove the engine and tranny from a 280ZXT and install them in a 240Z? I don't have the time or the expertise to do it myself.

Guest Ian turbo240

This is a loaded topic. My opinion is that a really good mechanic could do it in about 24 hours or less. This is with the assumption that you will be installing a bone stock 280ZXT engine and f/i system and 280Z fuel tank and he has the info on wiring up the f/i. Also, this is assuming that you will use the existing tranny and diff. Once you start swapping trans/diff, adding intercoolers, upgrading this or that, is when the time gets out of hand. I did one for a customer about a year ago and really sold myself short. What started out to be a simple 280ZXT engine swap ended up being an auto to 5-speed conversion, intercooler added, custom piston/long rod engine nightmare. I should have charged about tripple what I ended up with. However, that's my own fault. Anyway, I don't think that it would be unreasonable for a shop to charge you for 24 hours in labor. My shop charges $65/hr so that works out to $1560. Adding in intercooler and custom made plumbing, add about 6-8 hours at least. Need a 3" exhaust made, add about 3 hours (mandrel bent mild steel). Need a tranny swapped, add about 1 hour if performed with the engine swap, 4 hours if performed afterward. The list goes on...

Good luck!

Ian

24 hours to get it in maybe. It will probably take you 24 more to get it all working right.

There is no quantifiable way to even guess at this, and your best bet is to get a flat rate, or do it yourself.

Not to mention the return line on a 240 is to small for anything but a stock pump, and the tank really should have the pick up enlarged. You also should get rid of the stock 240 alternator, which means some re-wiring. You don't want the four speed, or the stock 3.36 R180, and you will need some stuff from a 280 to mount the R200 from the turbo engine. You will want the Turbo trans too, which is more fabrication.

I think you even have to shorten the drive shaft if you use the T5, or else you need to come up with a 3.90 rear diff and a ZX 5 speed to avoid the drive shaft shortening.

You will also need to have new exhaust run, and should run a 3 inch since you have to do it. Straight thru muffler like a dynomax ultra flow, race magnum, or Hooker maxflo (my personal favorite right now because it is cheap).

If you want to raise the boost, you need to get a plug out of a 1st gen 300Zx NA intake, and you should be able to get that from the nissan dealer. It replaces that dumb pop off valve on the stock manifold.

I am sure I am forgetting a few things, but this should give you an idea of what is involved. It is not some simple swap, but it is quite rewarding when you are done.

You know what they say. You want to play, you got to pay. :D