HybridZ

Cam Options

Guest Zpeed

Hey guys

i'm wanting a cam for my L26 with oversized pistons.... running usual bolt on's exhaust etc., with 240z SU's, i don't know anything about cams, cept its duration and lift, i want something good enough for the street, as i drive to car every day, but want the most of of the engine, i want powerband to go up to redline, 7000rpm i think it is, or 6500rpm, i know a brand called crow cams in australia make cams for the Z engine, just not sure what to get, the engine now is about 14k old so im not sure what i need to replace, lifters etc..

so any suggestions would be nice

You have lots of options. If the lift is over .460 you have to swap out the factory springs according to most sources, since that is where they coil bind. I have not always found that to be the case though.

Motorsport Auto has some nice one's. The one that is 274 duration and .480 lift is a nice cam that pulls good. You need to have higher compression to get the most out of your cam.

Crower will also grind you a billet for 180 I think. I like their cams. They can also regrind yours if you send it to them.

You don't have to replace the rocker arms, but generally you have to replace the lash pads when you change cams. Motorsport is probably the best alternative if you are not well versed in that area, they can set you up with a cam kit for about 460. If you don't replace the rocker arms, the valvetrain noise will be louder than stock.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I would and do run a .460 lift 270/280 In/Ex duration. It should give you what you want. It would work even better if you ported and polished the head and ran 3x2 40mm sidedrafts. I do and my car is fully streetable and gets 20+mpg on the open road