HybridZ

Just picked up a 77 280Z. not starting... need help please!

Guest Philanthr0py

Guest Philanthr0py

Hey guys, I just picked up a 77 280z for FREE! After having it towed back to my house, it is now sitting in the garage. The battery was dead but I charged it back to full. Now when I try to start it, all i hear is a "click." Can anyone give me some advice on how to diagnose what's wrong with the engine so I get it running at least? any info will help..... thanks

Originally posted by denny411:

1) bad starter

2) bad solenoid

3) bad battery

4) corroded connection

;)

Clean the battery cable connections first. If they have universal cable connectors-then take them apart & ensure the cable, cable connectors along w/the battery terminals are all clean: make sure the negative cable has a clean connection. 90% of all electrical problems are caused by a bad ground. :confused: Inspect your cables visually for cracks or discolorations. If cracks or discolorations exist-replace that cable.

Then if the starter still clicks when the key is turned over-you probably have a bad starter.

If this is the case-dont go off half cocked & autimatically purchase a starter. The engine could be locked up. Instead-obtain a breaker bar & a socket that fits the harmonic balancer bolt. Take the transmission out of gear & then try to turn the engine over w/the socket & breaker bar.

If the engine turns by hand then the engine is not locked up and your problem is most likely the starter/solenoid....now you can go buy your rebuilt starter.

If your engine starter still clicks after you have replaced the starter.....you may have a bad ignition switch. The starter is easier to replace than an ignition switch, and probably about the same price as a rebuilt starter; try the starter first.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

1)If the starter is bad the solenoid may kick out the bendix but the starter won`t turn.

2) If the solenoid is bad, it will click but not throw out the bendix,but this could also be caused by a few dead cells in the battery or a corroded connection not allowing enough amperage to operate the starter, but still enough to operate lights.

Ditto the above. My money would be on the corrosion on the now relatively loose nut (12mm) on the starter strap that connects directly to either the starter motor/solenoid or the battery cable/solenoid. While you're there, check the solenoid primary/ign switch wire connection. DAW